Blacklisted LFS

my advice with sealife is know wat u want then go there and buy.

asking for advice there well.....u must know who to ask from.

u ask from the person and they will gif u wrong answer.

i kanah b4 so i learn not to trust wat they sae too much

IMHO, no matter which lfs u patronise or from whom u seek advice from;

u shld evaluate their advice in a logical manner rather than follow blindly. u urself is responsible for ur own reef, if u follow "sala" advice, u can blame no one. ;)

juz me 2 cents. :yeah:

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Supporter

IMHO, no matter which lfs u patronise or from whom u seek advice from;

u shld evaluate their advice in a logical manner rather than follow blindly. u urself is responsible for ur own reef, if u follow "sala" advice, u can blame no one. ;)

juz me 2 cents. :yeah:

Yup... lightningstrike is right...

follow all advises at your own risk..... its always good to check around....

• SRC Member

I have also come across some books that recommended putting the LR before the sand but I myself have added sand before LR.

Recently, I have seen the reason for putting LR before sand. I bought some 2 spotted gobies and Tiger Watchman goby. Those guys dig very deep holes below your rockwork. I had to re-enforce my rockwork.

my advice with sealife is know wat u want then go there and buy.

asking for advice there well.....u must know who to ask from.

u ask from the person and they will gif u wrong answer.

i kanah b4 so i learn not to trust wat they sae too much

Actually if we put ourselves in the lfs owner shoes.. we also the same try to promote product that we have what... profit in business is the ultimate goal......

My 2 cents

*another bad attitude lfs*

a month ago when i was jus starting to setup a marine tank, went to one lfs in

farmart centre to enquire about sea salt mix.

when i enquire about the 'coralife' brand of sea salt mix, he told me that this brand

is no good, and recommended me another one. this other one was in a transparent packaging, about 1 kg, and had no label on it. he said that this is the best sea salt mix to use becos it comes from ###### country (i forgot the name)..

then i asked about the price, he told me it costs $18 for this packet (roughly about 1kg packaging). as i was not sure wat brand the sea salt was, then i said "ok, i consider 1st".. i have to consider mah

guess wat he replied "wan to start marine, mus buy the best salt, cannot buy cheap salt.. lidat also dun wan to buy, then might as well dun start a marine tank at all"

i was so pissed off.. :angry:

• 1 year later...
  • SRC Member

Not too sure if anyone mentioned that LFS in Yishun :P

It is really a very bad shop, just look at how they keep the fishes...so many dead fishes inside... so sad...

and they gave wrong information about the tank accessories too... :angry:

but it is still a shop with alot of accessories, so if you have done your homework it may be a good place to get something. Just dont listen to their recommendation...

Orh,this shop ar....

I was searching for some T5 tubes and the shopkeeper approached me and told me not to touch it as he was afraid tht i would break it...

Hmm,although i may look like a small kid....I noe how to handle stuff...

Hmm,somehow,some shops cannot be trusted,a clear sense of logic is essential when listening to advice....

Just my 2 cents

• SRC Member
Orh,this shop ar....

I was searching for some T5 tubes and the shopkeeper approached me and told me not to touch it as he was afraid tht i would break it...

Hmm,although i may look like a small kid....I noe how to handle stuff...

Hmm,somehow,some shops cannot be trusted,a clear sense of logic is essential when listening to advice....

Just my 2 cents

Sorry but don't mind me asking, what if you really break it? I had come across an incident in a lighting shop. Someone who got itchy hand broke some tube and at the end blame the shopkeeper for not placing the tube in secure place. Then refused to pay for the damaged done. The shopkeeper was nice enough to forget about the whole issue. If it was me, I would have called the police.

So I would suggest for such fragile item, better get help from the shop assistant la. ;)

My 2 cents too.

Wah... u guys manage to dig out such an old thread.

Anyway here's what i think:

The only two criterias i look for in a shop are service and honesty.

Generally, most lfs i came across are alright.

However, there are a few occassions when certain lfs are dishonest.

i.e. The lfs quoted me $200 for a prata which u can get it easily else where for $50-$80.

i.e. The lfs quote you accordingly to your age and the way you dress. My friend wears a suit to the lfs and got quoted $150 for some coral. Another fella walk in wearing a t-shirt and got quoted $100 for the same coral.

p.s. pls dun pm me asking which lfs i am refering to. Its not right to expose it outright but personally, i just stop visiting it.

That is my only blacklisted shop.

300 Gallon Reef Paradise

6X2.5X2.5 FT Tank : 4x2x2 ft sump : 2x1x2 ft refugim

Skimmer: Deltec AP851

Calcium Reactor:

Lightings: Aqualight T5 Retrofit, 150 watt MH X2

Chiller: Hailea HC-500A model w/ Aquabee 2000

Ozonizer: Hailea HLO-300 Digital ozonizer

Wavemaker: Tunze 6080, Tunze 6060

Return Pumps: Aquabee 5000 x2

Other equipments: Aquabee 2000, Quietone 1200, 5L Co2 Cylinder w/ Dupla regulator

American Marine Wireless Thermometer

Reefing is a dedication, not a competition.

• SRC Member
Not too sure if anyone mentioned that LFS in Yishun :P

It is really a very bad shop, just look at how they keep the fishes...so many dead fishes inside... so sad...

and they gave wrong information about the tank accessories too... :angry:

but it is still a shop with alot of accessories, so if you have done your homework it may be a good place to get something. Just dont listen to their recommendation...

they only do it as a profit making business, they know nuts abt marine. fish come, dump in, die, scope up and throw.

Everything's sold. Back in 2yrs time.

ga051025.gif

If it's a WRX, it gotta be STI.

av-24.gif

• SRC Member

they only do it as a profit making business, they know nuts abt marine. fish come, dump in, die, scope up and throw.

But I dont understand why still have ppl go and buy livestock from that shop lor...look at the condition...

dead fishes...dirty water...dark dim tank and gosh...look at their display tank! is that a display tank at all! goodness... :(

• SRC Member

i.e. The lfs quoted me $200 for a prata which u can get it easily else where for $50-$80.

i.e. The lfs quote you accordingly to your age and the way you dress. My friend wears a suit to the lfs and got quoted $150 for some coral. Another fella walk in wearing a t-shirt and got quoted $100 for the same coral.

p.s. pls dun pm me asking which lfs i am refering to. Its not right to expose it outright but personally, i just stop visiting it.

According to that shop, is it true that moonsoon season would cost coral prices to soar? and that red pratas/green are almost extinct, hence high prices? ;)

According to that shop, is it true that moonsoon season would cost coral prices to soar? and that red pratas/green are almost extinct, hence high prices? ;)

I believe bro acidjass is experience enough to make such a statment as wat he ment is "morning went this shop $100, afternoon another shop $150" I really dont think is like 6mths ago $100 for this den now $150 for the same thing. Knowing that he is someone who will visit LFS when ever hes free... mabe 7 days a week :bow: . Hahaha... anyway gotta jio people out for kopi liao :lol:

I do know of such shop who offer me a 3" Powder brown at $30..... :ph34r:

Can buy 2 and still have $$ left for a Macdonalds meal :evil:

• SRC Member

haha tink nxt time i will wear army tshirt, shorts and slipper to look poor. Mayb will get the cheapest price. :lol::P