Melody's New 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Reef (1st Timer)

magical26

Thanks Bro kkk121, weeseng, Admiraltian, and Evolutionz. Thank you for your kind words.

Bro Evolutionz, thanks for your compliments, appreciate the encouragement! :)

Yes, i did spend quite abit on this project (Between $6K - $7K, quotes from 3-4 differing LFS). But then again, I've learnt from experience. In my first post, i mentioned about owning a cube 24G cube. Back then (6 years back), my budget was much smaller as compared to now. I purchased the cheapest of everything (cos i was only a NS Boy back then and got very limited $), and it was a mistake indeed!!! :thumbdown:

In the end (back in 2007), I need to replace my T5 lights cos bulbs blew frequently, my cheapskate chiller needs frequent servicing and repair to perform its intended function, my water parameters were totally off cos i got the cheapest salt mix (and livestock died), and my wave maker also spoiled very soon. It made the hobby a NIGHTMARE :( and much less enjoyable.

I realized that in order to save, I rather get good equipments to start off with (although not 100% guaranteed, but it does come with proper product support and reassurances). Come to think of it, replacing low quality product is just as costly, if not, more troublesome if you take into consideration the hassle, time, worrisome time that you might need to go through. Not to mention, if you happen to lose livestock due to equipment failure! :angry: Super sianz at that point in time :cry2: And my family keep saying 'see lah... act clever only, start a tank and in the end, cannot make it'.... Hahaha... Those were the days.

I rather set aside a comfortable budget that i am willing to spend and hopefully have lesser hassle in the future. Just my personal thoughts and principles. Come to think of it, no matter what, this hobby is a expensive one to start off with. Jus my 2 cents worth for ALL BEGINNERS...

Nonetheless, i still face small issues here and there. I will be sharing these issues shortly... In the meantime, cheers to all reefers! :cheers:

Truly agree on losing livestock due to equipment failure. For the critical equipment such as return pump, I always believe in getting the best your budget can afford as any failure will make you lose your previous livestock that you have kept or grown for sometime which is the worst feelings. Besides, constant changing and meddling with your equipment will be an unnecessary hassle and I really dislike the part whereby your sump and floor getting sticky and wet.

Truly agree on losing livestock due to equipment failure. For the critical equipment such as return pump, I always believe in getting the best your budget can afford as any failure will make you lose your previous livestock that you have kept or grown for sometime which is the worst feelings. Besides, constant changing and meddling with your equipment will be an unnecessary hassle and I really dislike the part whereby your sump and floor getting sticky and wet.
Agreed.

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

Hi Bro Dispar_Anthias, i understand that feeling and agree with you fully. The worst part of it all, is knowing that your livestock die not because of your own negligence, but because something (an equipment) spoiled. :erm:

agreed. thats why despite having a really tight budget, i still make sure i use eheim for my return pump

Hi Bro Evolutionz, Eheim has been a well trusted brand for a long time, good choice on your part. Along the way, there are other brands of pumps that are also starting to earn the reliable label. Thus, i decided to go with the water blaster from Reef Octopus. So far so good for the past 10 months or so... :)

After i've cycled for 1 month, i started to stock up slowly. And at times, it really take me a lot of effort to pull the brakes and not stock up too fast. Since this is my first time trying a reef tank seriously, i decided to go with a Full LPS Tank (with fishes of cos)! Thus, my initial investment in equipments did not include a dosing pump. Will perhaps invest in a dosing pump and calcium reactor if one day i choose to take on the challenge of SPS.

The First Few Corals Added After Cycling.

post-12962-0-51437400-1379516036_thumb.j

post-12962-0-81146200-1379516093_thumb.j

post-12962-0-33257600-1379516156_thumb.j

These corals are currently still doing well in my tank after 10 months. All 3 came from different LFS.

Once again, i apologise for the lousy photos taken by my phone. I am quite bad at photography actually. Realised that some angles would make the picture look super bright (almost like washed out effect), while another angle will make the picture appear much darker even though there are no changes to my light settings. Still a noob in photography i guess.

• 1 month later...