Salt

• SRC Member

Instant Ocean, Reef Crystals, Coralife and at the moment Tropic Marin.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Dinosaur> Your 1 carton good for how many gallons har? How come $90?

Ok..have some observations I made that's making me curious:

I know what I'm supposed to do when mixing salt with water is to let the water stand overnight before adding the salt, 24hrs or more..that's what I do. Sometimes. :paiseh:

Thing is, I notice when sometimes I don't wait, I mix the salt with the water immediately, the entire mix turns cloudy. Even leaving it to stand for a few hours doesn't clear the water. I'm curious as to what causes the cloudiness. Is the cloudiness bad?

Hope someone can shed some light on this... :thanks:

• SRC Member
Dinosaur> Your 1 carton good for how many gallons har? How come $90?

Ok..have some observations I made that's making me curious:

I know what I'm supposed to do when mixing salt with water is to let the water stand overnight before adding the salt, 24hrs or more..that's what I do. Sometimes. :paiseh:

Thing is, I notice when sometimes I don't wait, I mix the salt with the water immediately, the entire mix turns cloudy. Even leaving it to stand for a few hours doesn't clear the water. I'm curious as to what causes the cloudiness. Is the cloudiness bad?

Hope someone can shed some light on this... :thanks:

meant fro 150 gal

they claim this salt special one

gives very clear water with a lot of benificial chemical inside

I buy this brand partly bcos they only sell this brand

btw, $90 is patrick's pricing

went down few days ago and Henry is now selling $93

erm ......... things are getting more expensive snce Henry took over, not to mention the live stock

Infact, i seldom frequent there now .......

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Hi Dino,

Ya it DOES give very good clear water..I'm using this brand too..

That's why I was trying to figure out whether the price you get is better..and I think it is..I got mine good for 50gal at $37..which is ridiculous..but I didn't know better at the time. I'm going down to petmart tomorrow..hopefully they have a better price. Hopefully they're open tomorrow too..*laugh*

I only notice the cloudy water when I don't let the water stand overnight. Which is very strange..and leads me to think whether is it the chlorine in the tap water that's mucking up the salt...hopefully someone can enlighten me.. <_<

• SRC Member
Hi Dino,

Ya it DOES give very good clear water..I'm using this brand too..

That's why I was trying to figure out whether the price you get is better..and I think it is..I got mine good for 50gal at $37..which is ridiculous..but I didn't know better at the time. I'm going down to petmart tomorrow..hopefully they have a better price. Hopefully they're open tomorrow too..*laugh*

I only notice the cloudy water when I don't let the water stand overnight. Which is very strange..and leads me to think whether is it the chlorine in the tap water that's mucking up the salt...hopefully someone can enlighten me.. <_<

lona

Not sure if i'm correct, but just a observation i have made.. salt that are exposed to air too long or salt that is kept too long tends to give cloudy water... so take care that your hands are very dry when handling with the salt....

• SRC Member
You can Tropic Marine at PetMart, its cheaper there.

Skip Coralife. PH drop can happen.

Or buy NSW if you can afford to do a bit of exercise of lugging those jerry cans.

Petmart sells Tropic Marine 6kg pack @S$30....

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I have the same problem with cloudy water when using Coralife. Tried Kent for the 1st time last month got very clear water. I keep my salt in zip-lock bag & I always use dry tupperware to take out the salt. Pet Mart only selling Coralife now.