Ocean's Blend

hotbod999

• SRC Member
I'm sorry for being so out of it for personal reasons. I forgot to add Lanthanum chloride percipitates phosephate. I use it in my ingredients. If anyone knows someone that works at a large aquarium (in the USA Disney's Living Seas, Sea World) they can ask them about this usage. Thank you again for this topic so we can discus a hobby we all love and share.

Lanthanum chloride percipitates phosephate.

No offence but to what i know this is an active chemical that is widely used in swimming pool to bind phosephate...

If Lanthanum chloride volume by % is too little it would not really bind but if too much of this chemical it will also be toxic for humans. Thus isit a little too unstable to be used in our reef tank?

Do correct me if i am wrong....

THanks

Ming

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry for being so out of it for personal reasons. I forgot to add Lanthanum chloride percipitates phosephate. I use it in my ingredients. If anyone knows someone that works at a large aquarium (in the USA Disney's Living Seas, Sea World) they can ask them about this usage. Thank you again for this topic so we can discus a hobby we all love and share.

Most large public aquariums use filtered seawater in a flow-thru system for all their tanks.

Why would they be using a two-part calcium additive? I'm curious. :unsure:

• SRC Member

Most large public aquariums use filtered seawater in a flow-thru system for all their tanks.

Why would they be using a two-part calcium additive? I'm curious. :unsure:

:bow: Give me a break, I know Australia, HK & S'pore Underwater world all uses processed flow-thru system, with large UV installed. UV plant the size of a house!

2-part additive? Ain't it's too expensive even buying in bulk...taking their system size int consideration <_<:erm:

Max

I'm not saying they use a two part for thier large system. I ment they have been using Lanthanum chloride to bond with the phosphate and leave the chloride behind. I know they have tested it on sharks and rays with no problem. I also have tested it in two of my reefs without any ill effects. Yes in the two part it is not at high amounts but a little bit each day will add up. Our large aquariums here do not really get any water changes. They get charge for salt water dishcharge,so they do more treatments and test than other aquariums.

Oh I see. Thanks for clarifying that up.

How much Lanthanum Chloride does it take to remove 0.25ppm of PO4 in 100l of saltwater?

I'm curious about this because it may be a viable substiture for iron oxide or aluminium oxide! ;)

Maybe Tanzy can shed some light on this?

The only testing I have done with it is to see if it kills corals or fish by adding it to a tank. I only tried a liquid form so I'm not sure of the strenght. When I added it in high amounts it milked the tank out and took 24 hrs to clear. I was thinking of bottling it,but due to the tank milking I thought it would not be a good product for use. I am going to go to ferric oxide hydroxide for my phosephate remover. It also removes metals,arsenic and silicates. I think this would be safer as over dosing would not be an issue.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hehehe, the most interesting thread up to date..

still waiting earnestly everyday for Mr."HOT bod" to raise his counter arguments against BIGBOSS and Tanzy...

Shall we have pics posted of both their tanks ??

Maybe pictures speak louder than words ??

Please dun slam me if i too Kaypo here... :blink:

post-304-1148825424.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gifmadboy.gif

That just because someone doesn’t love you the way you want them to,

doesn’t mean they don’t love you with all they have.