tank in aircon room.

• SRC Member

Hey fellas, how many of you keep before nano tanks in your bed room? with aircon at night. i have a small beta tank in my bedroom which temperature is probably 22 - 24C.. and will not go above 27C during day time.. thinking of setting up a nano! with mainly LPS/Zoas.. was wondering will it be too cold?

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

Well, my tank is fairly new, I only have a polyp of a mushroom to test. So not much to test with yet.

Before the decomm however, the corals seemed to colour up better in the colder temp. Ideally I would like it to remain at 25, it was the temp where I had most success in terms of growth and colouration.

• SRC Member
Hey fellas, how many of you keep before nano tanks in your bed room? with aircon at night. i have a small beta tank in my bedroom which temperature is probably 22 - 24C.. and will not go above 27C during day time.. thinking of setting up a nano! with mainly LPS/Zoas.. was wondering will it be too cold?
not a problem. I hv a 2 feet tank with room aircon for the past 2 years. No issue

base on discussion i remember many years back, the evaporation rate is high.

as for other areas, aircon spoils faster.

cant remember the reason why though, try searching it.

Just wondering, why would the water evaporate faster? In my experience use fan vs aircon chill, the evap rate a lot less for air condition. But vs chiller is a different story.

• SRC Member

i have fears for high evaporation.. i used to keep a 34L nano chilled by fan, i had to top up 1.5L daily.. now i top up 1L daily for my 250L tank chilled by chiller.. i usually keep my door close so the aircon wont escape and i just measured my betta tank's water (same place its gonna be) and its 27C..

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

• 3 weeks later...

Air-con will certainly increase the evaporation rate as there are less moisture in the air, but not as bad as blowing with a fan. It is best to keep the air-con temp higher so that the fluctuation in temp is not too high. Try 24-25 it's also more friendly to the enviornment. Looking forward to see your tank.

• 1 month later...