how do I remove brown algae on my live sand?

RCA

• SRC Member

It's really dependent on your water parameter, if you could maintain good husbandry practice they won't bug you anymore.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

Sand shifters will help. But if you are unlucky like me who have a sea cucumber who thinks he is under paid and decides to just laze around by the rocks, just suck it out during water change. Another way is to have good circulation so less detritus have chance to accumulate on the sand bed. So less sucking.... my 0.0005 cents worth of findings.

• SRC Member

I used to have that problem as well, but i will try to swift and suck out the brown algae during water change.

Also you could try having more flow around the sand bed which helps.

But the root cause is still your water parameter, if you can try minimise your po4 and no3 they should disappear soon.

2x2x1.5

======

Maxspect Gyre

Maxspect Razer 120w 16k

H2O FR with Rowa

Eheim Universal 2400

BM Nac 5.5

JBJ Arctica 1/10Hp

I think we still need some picts of the brown algae. It could be the brown algae diatoms or red slime. Both has two different solutions, one of which is pretty dangerous. So, I'll refrain to advise any such before we can ID which type of algae.

Can you take some photos of the affected area?

Hi! What do I do if my water is cloudy?

Hi, you can try to search the forum for similar issue. Or you can start a new thread in the forum as to not hijack the current topic.

But to answer your question...

There maybe several reasons why your water is cloudy.

Here's a few I can think of...

- recent death in the tank that causes a bacteria bloom (symptoms: smell of death in the tank)

- new tank syndrome, which could also be a bacteria bloom (symptoms: same with first one)

- spike in carbonates that precipitates the calcium ions into calcium carbonates, usually caused by change in pH or tank recently received heavy dose of Kalk or carbonates. (symptoms: pH drastically changed from usual readings)

- caulerpa going 'sexual' (symptoms: almost all caulerpas are melting)

I think we still need some picts of the brown algae. It could be the brown algae diatoms or red slime. Both has two different solutions, one of which is pretty dangerous. So, I'll refrain to advise any such before we can ID which type of algae. Can you take some photos of the affected area?
Ok bro will post some pics.

I think we still need some picts of the brown algae. It could be the brown algae diatoms or red slime. Both has two different solutions, one of which is pretty dangerous. So, I'll refrain to advise any such before we can ID which type of algae. Can you take some photos of the affected area?
Pics uploaded.