higher tank width or height is better?

Batman

• SRC Member

for me i think width if u going to view it from front and behind if can go for 2.5 height also cos the tank can place uprigth to come to your house

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• Sponsor
I think 2.5 width is easier for scaping and can create more depth in the viewing and also lights will be easier to punch through. If 2.5 height you will require stronger lights and thus hihger hp chiller and also not for getting higher power bills. If you have really long arms and i mean really long ones, 2.5 would not be easy to clean and scape. Mine 2 cents worth

Blenny's right. Not forgetting the wider and shallower tank will also afford better gas exchange for the creatures in your mini ocean. It is also aeshetically pleasing IMO..

Not really, with a 2.5ft width you can do a gradual slope.

Where for a 2.5ft depth and 2 width the slope is more steep.

Should have gone with a custom built in the house one, 4ftx3ftx2.5ft(h) with 6"DSB. Aiya don't want to change the tank already :P

Maybe when I move house.

• SRC Member

me also thinking of 2.5 width and height...

but then rethink 2.5 heigh really very trouble and not to forget u still got a 4" heigh hook...

you back will ache like shit... also when u want to add coral u can really go swimming.. very diff for u to put any corals at the bottom...

• SRC Member
thks everyone for sharing ,,,i think 2.5width seems more votes but $ higher cos of carpentry work for cabinet ..hahaha, mut get approval from CEO liao... thks again!! :lol:

before doing a 2.5ft height or width.....you may want see whether you can access the tank from 1 side or 2 side.

bec if you are accessing from 1 side only, chances are that you will need to stand at the top of a 3-4ft ladder, bend over your body and get half body wet (or at least armpit zone) when try to reachout to the other corner. <_<

• SRC Member

Wanted a 2.5x2.5 originally. but due to near a wall and 5ft length, cannot cos no way can reach the back without getting wet. so I settle for the height. cos I feel even if I have the width and length, a long and short tank just dont look nice. prefer a poportion liek the 4x2x2.5. machiam tv like tat!! ke ke...

Trust me.... everyone who views my tank agrees that my 3ft width makes aquascaping so much more easier & natural looking as opposed to how most people rockscape a narrower tank... ie. a steep reef wall.

With width, I can create two cliffs with shorter hills in front of them, a valley between them and a space for a field (talking in terms of LANDscape) :lol:

You're welcome to visit my tank to get an idea! ;)

AT