question for chiller size

jowenteo

hi guys, my tank and sump total is about 100litre. currently using 1/15 artica mini. was thinking should I upgrade to a bigger chiller like 1/5? my return pump flow rate is 2000l/hr. tank size is 60cm x 30cm x 36cm. is over sized chiller recommended?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk 4

jowen

jowenteo@gmail.com

Hi bro jowenteo,

Like what bro kkk121 has suggested.

It would be nice to have a bigger horsepower chiller. However what you currently have does the job from my experience. You could probably use it for the time being until you slowly decide to get a size bigger.

'Just nice' horsepower gives you lesser kick in but lasts longer. Bigger horsepower to water volume gives you shorter kick in period but the chiller kicks in more. The arguement is the more the chiller kicks in, the faster the chiller 'wears out' over time.

For 100L, may i suggest the Hailea HS28A 1/10 HP.. Cheap, reliable and quiet. Thats what im using for my current 65L tank which is abit over powered. Flow rate depends on the manufacturer's requirements.

I just send in my artica 1/15 mini for service and they t loan me a 1/5. I notice the kick In more frequent but the cool down was so amazing fast. to cool down 1 deg took only 43 sec. but next kick in was like 45 mins. running in my sump is mini 70 bio pellet reactor from gemsurf, deltec 1350, and dd 2000 return pump. I had remove my tlf rowaphos reactor as the media keep floating to the top. intend to get a mini 40 reactor to run gfo from gemsurf. dunno it will works or not

jowen

jowenteo@gmail.com

• SRC Member

Bigger chiller needs higher flow.

If the oversized is too over later the tank flow rate becomes too high.

Also when too oversize the temperature decrease too fast, e.g. 1 celsius degree in 5 - 10 mins. Not sure how bad or good for the live stocks. Ideally we want gradual increase or decrease and not a spike.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Bigger chiller needs higher flow.

If the oversized is too over later the tank flow rate becomes too high.

Also when too oversize the temperature decrease too fast, e.g. 1 celsius degree in 5 - 10 mins. Not sure how bad or good for the live stocks. Ideally we want gradual increase or decrease and not a spike.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I concur with Solasido. Unless the reefer is planning for an upgrade very soon.

thanks for all the opinion. not planning an upgrade so soon. my bto only ready 2nd quarter 2014.

still puzzle worth the upgrade first not. :( returning the t loan chiller this weekend.

jowen

jowenteo@gmail.com

A 1/10hp will do the just nicely I believe

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

A 1/10hp will do the just nicely I believe

Yup! I second that. Have the same water volume with the same chiller and it's been working well for the past year. One thing I learnt was to give enough space at the back for the exhaust. Some reason it will not chill properly if not given enough 'venting' space.