quas111's beast tank 2013

Quas111

• SRC Member

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Set up 4 crab traps. I couldnt take a picture of one due to the placement of it. Inside there is sotong. I went market today and sotong was cheaper than prawns(market selling a lot of tiger prawns. Very ex)

I dont think the cycle has started because the tubeworms keep multiplying and multiplying and multplying... now at least got 50 of them on the rocks. Got like 3 diffrent types some more. Hopefully the sotong will rot and boost the cycle. I suspect the macroalgae is doing its job too well and absorbing the nutrients needed for the cycle but I wont touch them now. I bought test kits from fnm but they were having their holiday so the order didnt process. Have to buy again. I have no clue of the ammonia or the nitrates at all

• SRC Member

Where you pick the rock and mind share the how much /kg? Nice scape u have.

Thanks! There is around 55kg in the dt and 5 in the sump. I think it was $7/kg and all came for iwarna. They're all cured rocks too.

• SRC Member

Nice !! Can't wait to see the finishing product..

Do you smell what my tank is cooking..

haha thanks! I can't wait to see your finished product too! Maybe I'll check out your restaurant in the future

• SRC Member

Ok. I'll be at expo. If you want I can pass you a spare packet of red sea coral.pro for $27. Let me know. Will be at expo till 1pm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I managed to contact the seawater supplier whom I got my water from and they agreed to fix the salinity for free. Thanks anyways!

• SRC Member

nice set up bro! wow you mean your tank was running pure freshwater and yet your tube worm still multiplying?

thanks bro! Im as surprised on this as you are. I thought they would have died off due to the low salinity but theyre doing fine. And it wasn't really freshwater just somewhere slightly less than 1.010 sg. I guess they're hardier than we think. What surprised me most is that 3 different types of tubeworm(shell creating, rock burrowing and very large feather types) actually survived, and not just a single species.

• SRC Member

interesting indeed! and what a huge mistake ur sea water supplier made!

Interestingly i had a discussion with the distributor on the reason why it was dilute, and found out how changing tides and rain can affect salinity of seawater greatly. Next time anyone who uses seawater should check their salinity after a change. I was really lucky I hadn't put in lifestock yet else they wouldn't have made it.

And about the tubeworms, once the tank matures I'll be willing to give them to an experienced reefer who can learn more about them. Theyre not as simple and weak as I (and probably many others) thought.

• SRC Member
Interestingly i had a discussion with the distributor on the reason why it was dilute, and found out how changing tides and rain can affect salinity of seawater greatly. Next time anyone who uses seawater should check their salinity after a change. I was really lucky I hadn't put in lifestock yet else they wouldn't have made it. And about the tubeworms, once the tank matures I'll be willing to give them to an experienced reefer who can learn more about them. Theyre not as simple and weak as I (and probably many others) thought.
I am using sea water also. Always salinity very low. Have to top up salt

Clem's Clam Corner (Decommed)

60cm x 40cm x 30cm Tank

Nano tank reboot v2.0

• SRC Member

Bro, how long u plan for cycle?

I plan to cycle until no more ammonia. Test kits coming today so I will have a range of dates to visualise once the parameters are tested