DIY Chiong Skimmer Version 2.0

Tanggy

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

need some advise.....

i was thinking of reversing the pump (view picture) so that the inlet/outlet will look like in the picture.

1.) there will be more contact time...

2.)some air that are pumped out will be sucked back in again for

double chopping again thus making it finer also...

3.)probably i will use 2 pumps instead of 1 to create more bubbles also

pls comment....

post-9-1077994198.jpg

• SRC Member

The more pumps the better. but you need to account for the power comsumption and what you willing to pay to run it cos there is another pump to pump the water in. I am using one pump to oump the water in with needlevalve in the input pump and the recirulating pump. the input outlet is face downwards to extend the contact time. Some of the bubbles will reach the inlet of the inlet pump and get recirculated into smaller bubbles.

Whats your tank size??

• SRC Member

I know you are trying to extend the contact time. but by putting the outlet at the bottom, you are actually shortening it. As the bubbles will get suck out by the output and fill your sump with lotsa microbubbles instead of rising to the top. So it wont work. :( The output to the sump is taken from the bottom to minimize the bubbled fill water from being sucked out.

• SRC Member

my tank is only 3ft X 1.5ft X 1.5ft with 2ft X 1ft X 1ft sump...trying to DIY coz i can still use it if i upgrade my tank mah...that;s if my DIY project works loh...

i understand wat u mean liao....thanks...think i'll juz do up my model with your model as a guide.i'll use 2 pumps, do not need the extra pump to pump water into it as i am using the "gravity method" from my overflow into the skimmer....

thanks 4 your comments...maybe will post up my DIY project when i start so tat you can comment on my worksmanship....

:thanks:

• SRC Member

wah lao....damn gross.... :bow:

hope my DIY can create this, my weipro 2011 works like sissy, only has TEA not KOPI-O....

anyway my project is completing soon....now only have to DIY needlewheel propeller and troubleshoot to fit into my metal stand....estimated to be kicking by thursday....

ANYONE STAYING IN WOODLANDS OR YISHUN OR SEMBAWANG CAN SPARE ME A BIO-BALL?? NEED IT URGENTLY TO DO MY NEEDLEWHEEL....PLSSSSS.............

post-9-1078252630.jpg

• SRC Member

Also forget to add water parameters. Not sure how good the skimmer is cos currently my tank got a relativellow bio load. Not many fishes. total anout 12 fish for bout 200gallons of water. But NO3 can probably be better. <_<

NH3=0

NO2=0

NO3=5ppm

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

hi tanggy, i've made my own needle wheel using a bioball and notice that the pump loses its power gradually over a no. of days.....did u face the same problem?

i'm thinking, since he venturi that we made already produce pretty fine bubbles, by chopping it with a normal impeller should be sufficient...are there any drawbacks? i heard its gonna be noisy....