2ft beginner nano setup

Dear reefers

Firstly thank you very much for taking time to read and respond to the queries which I have.

I'm crossing over from freshwater planted tanks to marine.

I'm planning keep some hardy corals and a pair of clownfishes.

Current Tank size: 60x30x36 no sump with crystal glass, 6mm.

Current filter: eheim 2026 pro 2 with biohomme plus.

Chiller: teco 1/12hp

Planning to get:

1) Jebao WP25

2) BM NAC QQ HOB protein skimmer

3) live rock and Carib-sea live sand

Question

1) would the WP25 be too powerful? Would I need a wavemaker at all?

2) read quite a lot of reefers having problem with the BM QQ. Worried about overflowing and micro bubbles. Does anyone have good exp with it and would it suffice? How would it compare to the reef octopus hob filters?

3) what lights should I get? Would a PAR38 blub suffice? If T5HO what bulbs mix would be recommended?

4) keeping a marine tank with canister filter, how often would I need to clean the filter?

5) How much live rock would be needed and how much sand in proportion?

6) nitrifying bacteria; which have you had very good exp with?

7) any other items that I may have missed out on?

Once again thank you very much for your time and positive contribution in assisting with my new adventure!

Cheers

Ken

Hi clementC

Thanks! Yeah that's what I have read around as well. The WP10 not available yet?

Planning a simple reef but with a pair of percs hopefully.

Just worried that running a canister for a reef would be disastrous.

• SRC Member

Canister would require you to watch the filter at least once a month. Any longer and ill be a nitrate factory. As for lighting. 2x par38 would be enough. If going for t5. A simple 4 tube aquazonic set would be sufficient for easy corals.

EvolutionZ's Floating Reef:

(Decommed) EvolutionZ's 4ft shallow Mixed Reef Build :

ClementC - thanks!

Evolutionz - is it your 4ft shallow reef that's on AF? If it is, it's looks amazing!

Thanks for the tip! What combination of T5 tubes should I get then? And the par38 any combi or lenses that might've good?

Hi bro Ken! Welcome to the salty side! I too crossed over from freshwater and regretted not doing so earlier!

I currently and running a canister filter and like what bro Evolutionz said.. Canister is pretty mich a nitrate factory.. My experience is nothing dies but will start to farm diffrent varieties of algae... Its something quite hard to combat.

Not saying should stay away from canister, just maybe can look at other forms of filtration.. Like a more powerful skimmer.

Hi Joeybabooey!

Thanks! Yeah that's what I read about as well.. That's why I'm only looking at a pair of percs.. Hopefully the nitrate buildups won't be overwhelming..

Yeah currently looking at a deltec mce300 as well.. Heard that it's a good skimmer and it's rated for double my tank size..

Hi Joeybabooey!

Thanks! Yeah that's what I read about as well.. That's why I'm only looking at a pair of percs.. Hopefully the nitrate buildups won't be overwhelming..

Yeah currently looking at a deltec mce300 as well.. Heard that it's a good skimmer and it's rated for double my tank size..

My pleasure bro!

yup! Deltec you can never go wrong for sure =) check out the Reef Octopus HOB skimmers as well.. more options available..

Question

1) would the WP25 be too powerful? Would I need a wavemaker at all?

Yup.. i tried the WP25 in a 2ft tank as well.. super whirlpool.. You can either wait for the WP10 or a Tunze wavemaker on a timer.

2) read quite a lot of reefers having problem with the BM QQ. Worried about overflowing and micro bubbles. Does anyone have good exp with it and would it suffice? How would it compare to the reef octopus hob filters?

I am currently using the Reef Octopus HOB skimmer. Very happy with it. except that sometimes it causes salt spray. you can PM me and i can show you a video of it operating.

3) what lights should I get? Would a PAR38 blub suffice? If T5HO what bulbs mix would be recommended?

For 2ft long tank, At least 2 PAR38s.. then again the price you pay for that there are other controllable LED lightsets around at the same price. T5HO gives a totally different look compared to LEDs. I cannot tell you what kind of bulbs to use because I didnt really bother much sorry.

4) keeping a marine tank with canister filter, how often would I need to clean the filter?

As discussed :)

5) How much live rock would be needed and how much sand in proportion?

Sand wise, your choice of using caribsea is great! for 2 ft tank, it depends how deep you want the sand to be. Deep sand bed or shallow. In my opinion, shallow will do. 1 to 2 inches deep max. You can get the 20 lbs that should be enough for 2ft. Live rocks wise it depends on your scape. you can start with 5kgs and slowly add more if you like. Just know that the longer it takes for you to add the live rocks, your cycling might be longer as the live rocks still needs to fully cure.

6) nitrifying bacteria; which have you had very good exp with?

There are plenty in the market at the moment =) I personally have used Microbe-Lift brand of bacteria and recently changed to ATM Marine nitrifying bacteria. So far, no issues! the ATM brand looks promising.

7) any other items that I may have missed out on?

How about the temperature side of things? do you need a chiller or fan? try to stay away from fans as the evaporation is hardcore.

Once again thank you very much for your time and positive contribution in assisting with my new adventure!

Cheers

Ken

All that being said, you have definitely done good planning and good choice coming to this forum! I have learnt loads of great advise from the seniors here and i am sure you'll have fun!

Happy reefing bro!

Hi Joey

Thank you very much for the long reply and taking time to address every query that I had.

Yeah at the moment I'm very tempted by the razor 120W! It's super sleek, bright and pricey.

Was thinking if I should go with T5HO first then upgrade as I get better.

For the live rock I was planning to put in all at once to ensure that I have sufficient. Would that e good or should I add bit by bit to ensure that the tank is not overloaded?

Thanks

Ken

• SRC Member

I was looking at Jebao WP25 too but don't want to risk 75bucks.

Read that Jebao WP25 able to reduce the flow by using a lower voltage adapter?

http://thenanoreef.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?18472-Vortech-MP10-or-wait-for-Jebao-WP10

Anyway, let us just wait for WP10 :cheers:

just to share..Wp25 need not any adaptor to step down its power..there's 3 power settings to choose from (100%, 75% & 50%) @ the controller..there's 7 modes to play around..its better to get a more powerful wavemaker (to note dun too overkill too).. for a stronger 1 u can step down..but for a weaker 1 u can't step up..my old tank 3 2 2.5ft FOWLR run 2 Wp25 n return jebao dc6000..the flow is ok only..no whirlpool..

I dunnoe the size of wp10 compared to Wp25 though..so u got to gauge n weight the pro n con urself..dun regret after buying a weaker 1 Coz will have to sell it at a lower price n need to spend again on a stronger 1..

Happy reefing..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

hi smashing

yeah. im worried that the item bought would go to waste as well! maybe i will try a used one and see how.

thanks for the advise!

hi kenyee

i also read about the three settings! was worried that even at the lowest setting, may still be too powerful for me..

anyway only one way to find out right which is to try! haha..

Totally agree with you on the feeling about the regret of getting one that is not powerful enough then need to upgrade.. sucks!

thats why im doing my planning and research properly!

Does anyone know if a hang there are hang on nitrate reactors? what about hang on refugium? would I need one?

Pretty concerned about the nitrate level which may accumulate in the tank.

thanks a million

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am running a wp25 for my 1.5ft cube. I would say flow is strong and 2 of my yumas were blown away. YOU CAN TRY RUNNIS AT W1 S3 which is the lowest setting.Fortunately, my sps love the flow and I have seen growth and PE on them. My gsp also spread until the LR and love the flow. My banggai cardinal doesn't seem to like the highflow.

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8