Any1 succeeded in keeping marine tank w/o filter?

jas_soh

• SRC Member

IMO i think doing away with filter biologically should be able to sustain but on the other hand it should have some sort of mechinical filteration to aid... unless waste can be broken down fast... and not forgetting uneaten food...

• SRC Member
Does "no filter" = "no skimmer" as well?

nope.. i was wondering if the tank can just run with a skimmer & lights, then perhaps reduced feeding to minimize uneaten food to be left in the tank.... :look:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

i have a 55 gallon reef tank mostly lps.it has been running for the past 7 months without any filter.i'm only using a 2012 weipro skimmer, 4 in dsb and around 40 to 50 kilo of live rock.but i have around 5 fish(1-3 in length) and the tank is full of LPS :D .nothing is dying or missing.i do change 25% of water once a month. :)

• SRC Member

hmm....my uncle has a 4ft tank running w/o filter, PS, hardly any water change, no addictives, basically nuthin, juz top up water. His tank has been runnin for years. Sort of Berlin style, LRs w a thin layer sandbed. Any fishes tat survive the first 3 days of introduction into the tank will survive. :angel: Remember like 20+ yrs ago, he has couple of marine tanks and my grandma keep naggin at him. :heh:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member
hmm....my uncle has a 4ft tank running w/o filter, PS, hardly any water change, no addictives, basically nuthin, juz top up water. His tank has been runnin for years. Sort of Berlin style, LRs w a thin layer sandbed. Any fishes tat survive the first 3 days of introduction into the tank will survive. :angel: Remember like 20+ yrs ago, he has couple of marine tanks and my grandma keep naggin at him. :heh:

4ft mah..... largeeeeeeeee volume sure got lotsa LR to fill up the spaces... :P then again, we can always try to work things out our own way and even if the method has been tested & failed by others, it may work out fine on us... hahahahaha, perhaps i over optimistic already.. :lol:

...what are u missing from your life?... dun wait till your last breathe before telling them that you care

• SRC Member

4ft mah..... largeeeeeeeee volume sure got lotsa LR to fill up the spaces... :P then again, we can always try to work things out our own way and even if the method has been tested & failed by others, it may work out fine on us... hahahahaha, perhaps i over optimistic already.. :lol:

U haven see the amt of fishes in the tank yet, to me...i felt its kinda of overstock....no chiller only fan and runnin on MH but can't recall seein any corals. Well, i believe the maturity of the tank plays an impt role....tank if i recalled is abt 10yrs old. And tis werid uncle of mine has 2 marine tank, one planted tank, dunno how many tank housing 18 Lou Han, parrots, dogs.....like a zoo. Dunno how my auntie and cousin can tahan :nuke:

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

U haven see the amt of fishes in the tank yet, to me...i felt its kinda of overstock....no chiller only fan and runnin on MH but can't recall seein any corals. Well, i believe the maturity of the tank plays an impt role....tank if i recalled is abt 10yrs old. And tis werid uncle of mine has 2 marine tank, one planted tank, dunno how many tank housing 18 Lou Han, parrots, dogs.....like a zoo. Dunno how my auntie and cousin can tahan :nuke:

wah seh. you got a loving uncle who loves animals lo :lol: i have 2 small marine tanks, 1 planted tanks and if possible wanan start a terrapin tortise tank too.. HAHAHAHAH.... it's really fun getting your hands wet & into action!! maintenance is another issue though..... :rolleyes:

chinese saying: AI WU JI WU ==> if you love him/her, love his/her animals too!!!!!!!! :P

• SRC Member

If your sandbed is properly set up, you run a manageable bio load, and you have some form of nutrient export, why not?

I used to run my 270 litre cube with no filter (just LR, DSB) and no skimmer. I had a refugium with healthy calupera for nutrient export though. Sadly, that crashed due to stupidity on my part. Am running the same, but witha skimmer in there just in case now :)

• SRC Member
If your sandbed is properly set up, you run a manageable bio load, and you have some form of nutrient export, why not?

I used to run my 270 litre cube with no filter (just LR, DSB) and no skimmer. I had a refugium with healthy calupera for nutrient export though. Sadly, that crashed due to stupidity on my part. Am running the same, but witha skimmer in there just in case now :)

what has caused the crash, may i ask?

I have but remove all mechanical filters for my 450 lit tank. Using 20 LR, DIY Fluidised sand bed, PS and sandbed. Zero Nitrite, <5PPM Nitrate. 10 fishes and anemone, star fish, sea apple, mushroom and leather corals.

The other benefit is that the sea apple and anemone get foods!

I am trying to get mangrove plants to filter nitrate, metals and phosphate. Let me know if you know a source.

• SRC Member
I have but remove all mechanical filters for my 450 lit tank. Using 20 LR, DIY Fluidised sand bed, PS and sandbed. Zero Nitrite, <5PPM Nitrate. 10 fishes and anemone, star fish, sea apple, mushroom and leather corals.

The other benefit is that the sea apple and anemone get foods!

I am trying to get mangrove plants to filter nitrate, metals and phosphate. Let me know if you know a source.

wah...sea apple! i rem the first time i saw a sea apple i was very amused....find it look so much like a mouldy peach and not apple... :lol: so isn't it difficult to keep a sea apple? what does it feed on?

• SRC Member
I don't use any filters. I rely solely on my live rocks, skimmer, sandbed and refugium.

how about water movements? solely based on the skimmers?

• SRC Member

You were asking about tanks with or without filters.

Mine runs without any filters except the above I mentioned.

Wavemakers are another thing.

I use TUNZE for wavemaking. DIY kalkreactor for dosing kalk, DIY korallin calcium reactor for increasing my calcium and dkh levels, TUBBY for maintaining salinity and replacing evaporated water. ;)

• SRC Member

what has caused the crash, may i ask?

I added marine salt directly into the sump/ refugium without mixing it with water first. The salt burnt the calupera and killed them. I was complacent and forgot that I was no longer running a traditional sump alone.

• SRC Member

I added marine salt directly into the sump/ refugium without mixing it with water first. The salt burnt the calupera and killed them. I was complacent and forgot that I was no longer running a traditional sump alone.

oh i see...

i am quite ignorant about the caulpera and other macroalgae and i have an idea they so called become asexual and thus leading to deaths to the LS in the main tanks...hmm...den doesn't it turn asexual too in the refugium?