Skimmer upgrade.

doc99337

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my skimmer for my 3x2x2 tank, currently using BM curve 5. Someone told me it is small for my tank. Also, I find my tank accumulates a lot of detritus. Is it because the skimmer is small? Any recommendations which one should I get? Mid range price.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my skimmer for my 3x2x2 tank, currently using BM curve 5. Someone told me it is small for my tank. Also, I find my tank accumulates a lot of detritus. Is it because the skimmer is small? Any recommendations which one should I get? Mid range price.

Sent from my GT-N5120 using Tapatalk

BMCurve 9 would be nice..No not beacause of Skimmer Maybe its lack Of Flow

300Gallons of Pure Goodness! >Dimensions 6x2x2 (Foot)

1: Maxspect 160 Watt qty-2

2: Vortech MP 40 Wes

3:Jaebao WP40 qty-2

3: Skimz Becket Skimmer/ Ehiem 1260

4: Dymax XC 900 Calcium Reactor

5: American Pinpoint PH Controller

6: Iwaki MD 55 And MD 70 (Return)

7: Hydra Aquatics FR45 Reactor

8:Hailea 10HP Chiller

R2R forum->>>http://www.reef2reef.com/forums/photography-forum/154896-ashwins-reefing-photography.html

• 2 months later...

I am also looking for a skimmer for a new 4x2x2 setup and have been reading up on skimmers. Just curious as to the reason for curve 5 being insufficient for your 3x2x2 unless you have a very big sump tank. Your tank capacity is should be a tad less than 300L after adjusting for water level and glass thickness. Assuming your sump is 2/3 the capacity of your DT, total water capacity should be kept not more than 500L. Although it's close to the maximum 140 gallons rated curve 5, should still do its job rather well on 'normal' bioload.

1.5' Cube | Overflow Box | 1' Sump with filter sock and 3L bacteria king | Eheim 1000 return pump | BM 3.5 | Sunsun JVP-110 wavemaker | Full spectrum Par38

I am also looking for a skimmer for a new 4x2x2 setup and have been reading up on skimmers. Just curious as to the reason for curve 5 being insufficient for your 3x2x2 unless you have a very big sump tank. Your tank capacity is should be a tad less than 300L after adjusting for water level and glass thickness. Assuming your sump is 2/3 the capacity of your DT, total water capacity should be kept not more than 500L. Although it's close to the maximum 140 gallons rated curve 5, should still do its job rather well on 'normal' bioload.

Yes. Actually curve 5 is still rated on my system. But it is advisable to have 1 step higher skimmer. Not sure if i am keeping "normal" bioload. That is why I am planning to upgrade my skimmer but i upgraded my return pump first. Coz i am using resun 3000 and its tee to my refugium so i think the turn over rate is not enough.

i always go for x 2 or x 3 or even x 5 of the recommended volume of a skimmer.

if your tank volume is 200L , i probably will go for a skimmer which can handle 800-1000L

Is it not too much? if its 5 times? Which skimmer do you recommend?

i always go for x 2 or x 3 or even x 5 of the recommended volume of a skimmer. if your tank volume is 200L , i probably will go for a skimmer which can handle 800-1000L
Agree with stronger skimmer. Using bh1000 for my 15gallon. It skims a lot out. Very satisfied with the outcome.

Skimmer does not help with detritus. Detritus build up is due to poor water circulation and lack of mechanical removal like filter socks or filter wool.

That's why i change my return pump first to see improvement.