Confused about ricordeas lighting needs

Siaokia

• SRC Member

I haf been reading up abt keeping ricordeas and i am confused about their lighting needs..some staets that they require strong lighting while some say they prefer lesser ligts...

From those who haf experience in keepin rics, which type would u reccomend me to keep rics in?...under direct light or in the shade but nt totally cut off from the light?

• SRC Member
Ric requires light but not extremely strong light.

Ric are known to breach when placed directly under MH light.

SOrry to correct you.

But there is 2 main type of ricodeas.

As far as i know Floridea Ricodea thrive extremely well under even 900watts of MH..

Which type of ricodeas are you refering too :)

• SRC Member

Like i said , there is TWO type of ricodes which type ?

maybe you like to name the 2 types of ricordeas? ....

people like me would only know of ricordea Floridas... unless you talking about ricordea Yumas which are Yuma..

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

http://arcanehacker.blogspot.com/

• SRC Member
Well..Type 1 or type 2 both oso under ricordeas category mahz..so both types lo..

OK .. Lets say we are now comparing Ricordea Florida & Ricordea Yuma.

I dun see why Ricordea Yumas can bleach in white lights? .. I have few Yumas in my tank. Been using MH. My Orange Yuma isn't bleached a bit.. still retaining the same bright orange colour.

I know what is bleached coz my recently aquired mushroom has few polyps bleached because of the MH.

Why do we use "My 2 cents worth" when 1 cents are not legal tender in Singapore anymore? Shouldn't it be 5 cents worth?

"Its easier to blame the 'mantis' or crabs in the tank for missing & dead livestocks.."

• SRC Member

yeah..i haf afew hairy mushrooms which had part of it bleached when a huge rock with zoos fell on it(some blardy fish mus haf pushed it)

My hairy mushrooms are doing fine with the current lights i haf..wan to noe more abt rics b4 getting them..

• SRC Member

SOrry to correct you.

But there is 2 main type of ricodeas.

As far as i know Floridea Ricodea thrive extremely well under even 900watts of MH..

Which type of ricodeas are you refering too :)

I said that because I know of a batch of Ric at Reefworld that was breached because it is placed directly under MH light.

I have 10 frags of Ric which are thriving under my 10000K PL light.

• SRC Member

just some related question.. how do they reproduce? By spawning like tubeworms? or do they split like my cucumber? ..hehe

• SRC Member
Rics expand bigger to capture more light if the lighting intensity is lowered. You can cut down on intensity if you prefer your rics to expand bigger.

oohh..okk...thanx for telling..later if i see the rics smaller den it was in da shop, i sure panic..scared it might die..haha

• SRC Member

Firstly Dragttg, i am sorry that your purchase of ricodea floridea bleach under MH , I only could address it maybe it was the other reason like shippment stress. etc. As all my floridea is from Marine Life is thriving under 900watts of MH and in fact i need to frag them to sell to keep them control under growth.

Siaokia: Even the both are under the same family ricodeas but they are totally different. Orange or green yuma are common from indo water. But again i would feel that bright colour yumas are found from deeper water zones thus too strong of intensity of ligthing at one go would cos stress. AGM cos show an example :)

Stress up mushroom is 100% not bleaching. And for a mushroom to bleach it just means there is not enough light.

Second: Ricodea Floridea reproduce by fission not spilting and where as yumas are by detach and re-attaching leaving a trail of flesh which will grow into new bud. EIther way could be speed up by using a penknife and cut them..

Hope this helps.

• SRC Member

bro wooming is those brighter colour are found near the surface ??? cos they need to reflect the light so they are bright in colour ?? den those dark colour cos they need to aborb light so the are dark am i right ??

Selling big game fishing equipment. Stella 20k / 17k .. made in Japan jigging blue rose / kabuzu popping rod... pm for prices

• SRC Member
Hahaha... the master speaks!!

Btw, is it okay if i place 2 rics of different colours close to one another? almost touching?

Mine still not growing!!! Do they like strong light?

Vincent Ho :thanks:

RAV : Which type ? All i know is those hariy will sting the rest. But for the rest itis more of trying. As it may and may not.

Example" Those u see in Marine Life tank is green tip yuma he placed them so close to his purple mushroom and floridea and they are fine.

But those geen tip yuma sting my floridea in my tank. So you got to try.

But for sure Floridea will not sting each other no matter which colour tone you got.

Sunny : yes and no, the pic u see below is found in deep waters. Much deeper than those orange or green yuma. And it do well in some reefers tank and for some it just melt away ...

post-6-1077469995.jpg