cost of running cold water tank

• SRC Member

we have all seen supermarkets with really cold water tanks for oysters, lobsters and turbots from temperate regions.

any idea on the cost of maintaining such a setup?

• SRC Member

I already run a chiller for my tropical marine tank, but to keep temperate fishes, I'm setting it to 17-18 degrees. Very big difference to the current 26 degrees

• SRC Member
Most important thing is tank insulation. Either thick acrylic or dual paned glass.
I understand you already have a coldwater tank set up. Could you share with me how the livestock were imported, how you transported them and any pics of the tank, size and running cost? Really appreciate if you could help with this info!

The current tank is just a test for a possible larger future setup, 2x1.5x1.5 12mm acrylic tank with a Daeil 1/7 Chiller.

Electric bill has risen significantly but am unsure how much of it is due to the coldwater tank, as I've set up 2 large freshwater tanks in the same month.

As for livestock, at the moment my fish (Blue Devil & Garibaldi) were both bought locally without specially being imported. What fish/inverts are you looking at?

• SRC Member

I'm looking for the mosaic leatherjacket as a species tank but am unsure of how to obtain them. They need a big tank though due to their eventual size of 2ft. Thinking of using a compressor chiller.

Btw were your blue devil and garibaldi kept in very cool water at the supplier? How did you maintain the temp on the way home?