Does size matters much?

Guys, i have a currently 5 x 2.5 x 2.5 tank space that i am freeing up.

I am thinking of converting it to become a sw tank or get another nano tank.

Would a bigger volume of water make it easier to maintain the parameters like freshwater?

• SRC Member

Bigger volume has more tolerance for mistakes, stability of parameters much better.

Cheers,

James

Cheers,

James

Reviving my reef tank :

Crystal glass 53" x 22" x 17" rimless (inclusive of 12"x22"x17" IOS)

Life Reef HVS3-24 with mazzei venturi

ATI Sunpower 8 x 39w T5 (4 x Blue plus, 2 x Aqua blue special, Coral plus)

ZET Light 3 x 3w LEDs moonlight

Arctica 1/3 Hp + 1/4 Hp back up

Vortech mp40w x 3 + Jebao wp25

Eheim 1264 x 3 + water blaster 5000

Vortech back up battery

TLF-150 + Rowaphos

Activated carbon

Kamoer 3 channel + CaCl2 + NaHCo3

150L Refugium with DSB, miracle mud, cheato

2ft T5 x 2 light tubes for refugium

i agree that the initial investments for saltwater is expensive but actually not that scary also. thinking that the amount of $ i spent on arowanas and having them swimming in a comm tank or bare tank is pretty boring..... thus the switch to a sw tank......

• SRC Member

bro it is better to go slow. It is like driving a big truck vs. A small car. Small car easier to manage but less stable. For nano tank, anything goes wrong just change water. But since volume of water is small, we have low buffer against change in water parameter. The salinity alone go up drastically if we forget to top up in few days. The livestock can die. Big tank, more stable but need to slowly stock up and monitor, do not rush. Else it may result later in frustration as live stock keep dying or algae problems, etc. Especially if this is the first reef tank it is better to go slow. It is not a bad idea to start a nano tank first to get the feel on how to manage the water. It will be very helpful in managing bigger tank. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

bro it is better to go slow. It is like driving a big truck vs. A small car. Small car easier to manage but less stable. For nano tank, anything goes wrong just change water. But since volume of water is small, we have low buffer against change in water parameter. The salinity alone go up drastically if we forget to top up in few days. The livestock can die. Big tank, more stable but need to slowly stock up and monitor, do not rush. Else it may result later in frustration as live stock keep dying or algae problems, etc. Especially if this is the first reef tank it is better to go slow. It is not a bad idea to start a nano tank first to get the feel on how to manage the water. It will be very helpful in managing bigger tank. Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I also want to have a nano tank at home but my house have 2 (6 x 2.5 x 2.5) 1 (5 x 2.5 x 2.5) and 4 x 2 x 2

so its very hard to get approval for a nano tank liao. no choice

• Like 1

• SRC Member

I also want to have a nano tank at home but my house have 2 (6 x 2.5 x 2.5) 1 (5 x 2.5 x 2.5) and 4 x 2 x 2

so its very hard to get approval for a nano tank liao. no choice

Wow bro..ur hse is like a LFS liao..nice to have so many tanks but maintenance is a nightmare..any pictures to share with us?..:)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

Wow bro..ur hse is like a LFS liao..nice to have so many tanks but maintenance is a nightmare..any pictures to share with us?.. :)

haha. ya its like a lfs and pretty noisy with all the bubbling sound. but all is fw tank with arowanas haha. no sw tanks yet haha

• SRC Member

Oooh nice a new reefer. Good luck with your setup! Make sure that your tank glass is thick enough that water doesnt condense on it if you are chilling the tank, and make sure the silicon is strong enough for the weight of the saltwater. Happy reefing! :)