Cycling tank woes

Hi, i have been my cycling my tank for a month already, i had my usual ammonia spike, and nitrite spike so i thought was right on track. Right now my ammonia reading has been 0. But my nitrite level since then last week has been high and my nitrate now has spiked. Nitrite and nitrate remains high and off the chart of my API test.

Is there some kind of a problem with my water? :/

+1 to what erikokelf said. Since your ammonia level has decreased to 0. It will take time for nitrite to slowly go down as the bacteria colony is building. Mine took about 1 and a half months to cycle. But thats because i kept throwing in dead prawns to make sure my system is able to bring ammonia and nitrite down to 0 within 24 hours. Just leave the tank alone for maybe a week and test it after. Either that or your test kit could be faulty or expired. All the best and update when everything is settled!!

• SRC Member

Nitrate is the end product of the ANN cycle. It will continue to pile up unless exported (via water change or other methods). In a tank that had completed cycling, Ammonia and Nitrite must be zero or near zero.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)

Hi, i have been my cycling my tank for a month already, i had my usual ammonia spike, and nitrite spike so i thought was right on track. Right now my ammonia reading has been 0. But my nitrite level since then last week has been high and my nitrate now has spiked. Nitrite and nitrate remains high and off the chart of my API test.

Is there some kind of a problem with my water? :/

Follow below video for ANN cycle profile..

Try Microbe-lift product to improve your new tank water quality.

Cheers and Happy Reefing.

30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif30ikthj.gif
BANNER.jpg
1-3.jpg

LFS Map in singapore

For a normal fish-less and maybe a few flakes or pellets type of cycling, it took me about 6 weeks. Few weeks more than freshwater.

Add some beneficial bacteria, and since u are at nitrite state, use microbe lift nite - out II. It contains nitrification bacteria which is what your tank is cultivating now. Follow dosage and add more doesn't harm. It speeds up cycling very fast.

Freshwater takes about 4 weeks for full cycling to complete, my personal experience with that product + OF beneficial bacteria, speeds up freshwater cycling and completes in 1 week.

With freshwater, it took me about 2-3 weeks with such products to complete cycling. If you are not adding anything, 1 mth isn't enough.

• SRC Member

Mini feather duster worm. Harmless.

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jppost-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

"Be formless... shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle; it becomes the bottle. You put it into a teapot; it becomes the teapot. Water can flow, or it can crash. Be water, my friend..." - Lei Siu Lung (Bruce Lee)