Peppermint shrimp died

ytpmzy

• SRC Member

I bought a pair of peppermint shrimp from a store yesterday, drip acclimated them for 30 minutes. (Till about twice the original water level.)

I shifted them to a holding tank to check if they are stressed or ill, and I don't notice any obvious signs of illness.

But when I introduced them into my display tank, they collapsed and appeared dead. What could have gone wrong?

I don't have a nitrate test kit , but my ammonia levels are below 0.02ppm , specific gravity at that time was 1.026, temperature 29 Degrees Celsius.

I think 29 is abit too warm right? Anyways, I drip mine at 1 drip per second with their bags in the sump to acclimate to the temperature as well. I let it be for at least 1 hour or 1.5 hours. Always remember patience is the key. Hope this helps. happy reefing!

• SRC Member

29 degrees is warm but I don't think peppermint shrimps will die at that temperature. The main issue is with the change in temperature rather than the temperature of 29 degrees in and of itself.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • SRC Member

I think with your aircon bill might as well get a chiller.

Bro, I support your answer. However, maybe Bro Daveyy was thinking of one stone killing two birds leh, Coz air con also benefits human mah. it's getting hot in the afternoon nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

To update you guy haha so long le...

Recently got a shrimp , and a cooler fan (water still hovering about 28-29 cox now weather hotter >< without it the water temp will be 32 ) , acclimated her for 3 hours then added her into the tank.

She is swimming around fine now >:D ... So I guess I was too impatient that time :thumbsup: . Thanks for all your advice :thumbsup:

Cheers

• SRC Member

To update you guy haha so long le...

Recently got a shrimp , and a cooler fan (water still hovering about 28-29 cox now weather hotter >< without it the water temp will be 32 ) , acclimated her for 3 hours then added her into the tank.

She is swimming around fine now >:D ... So I guess I was too impatient that time :thumbsup: . Thanks for all your advice :thumbsup:

Cheers

Great news that your shrimp is doing great =D patience is the key I learn too .. any pics of your tank ?

Untitled.thumb.jpg.7714ce1b06996ffb51c72