My harlequin shrimp in action..

TanGo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
Could it be that the harlequin can change ###### like clowns and cleaners. Out of my four cleaners, three take turns to have eggs and one smaller one never.

That was what I heard too.. My second Harlequin Shrimp got a claw removed by the 1st one.. But now the harlequins are living side by side, except sometimes the larger pairs seem to snatch starfishes from the smaller pair..

Here a photo of the Larger pair.. Hiding under my LR..

• SRC Member

Tango very nice :)

May i ask how often do u feed them with starfish and any types ..

Also how long will a star fish last insdie ?

WHat happen if they start eatting the starfish but fail to finish it leaving it to rot some where in the tank ,

ANy advise if i would like to keep a pair and how much they cost .?

THank You

Happy CHinese Year :upsidedown:

• SRC Member
Tango very nice :)

May i ask how often do u feed them with starfish and any types ..

Also how long will a star fish last insdie ?

WHat happen if they start eatting the starfish but fail to finish it leaving it to rot some where in the tank ,

ANy advise if i would like to keep a pair and how much they cost .?

THank You

Happy CHinese Year :upsidedown:

Starfishes normally dunn rot.. They will regenerate themselves.. And the Harlequin won't kill them.. They like their starfish fresh.. Hehehe.. So they will feed the starfish and keep it alive..

Depending on the size of the starfish and your shrimp.. My large pair finished off a small starfish in two days.. The smaller one will take longer time.. normally it will be around 2weeks for them to finish a big one.. They will normally finish the whole starfish.. That's what I do.. Until they finish then I go get starfish..

If you want to keep a pair, see if you can find them paired up in the fish shops.. If you buy them seperately, you have to take your chances, not necessarily they will pair up the first time.. That's why I ended up with 4 of them..

Prices ranges between $16 - $30/40 ... Depends on where you get them from.. two of mine comes from the phillippines and they will normally cost more.. Two others are from indonesia..

Hope this helps..

Cheers! ;)

• SRC Member
Sorry Tango are they reef compatible with other shrimps like cleaner and fire ? and they wont attack fishes or corals right ?

If buay Gum then they fight lor..

They are reef compatible, they got no grievances with my Skunks.. I have a pair of those.. Fire I am not so sure..

• SRC Member

All these talk about Harlequin Shrimp is inspiring me to wanna have some for my reef....

Tangos pairs and AT's baby Harlequins....hmmmmmmmm...

Only wondering whether if its a doos idea to place them in my mains.... cos need to put starfishes in regularly ... :(

• SRC Member
ed,

wat u can do is get a star fish n freeze it. then cut it up to small pieces. so every week can throw in a cube or 2.

That was what some ppl recommended me to do..

But I think it's still the best for the shrimps to tackle their own food..

Dunn have to worry about the starfish crawling around.. Once caught, They dunn stand a chance to get away..

Phang, I think you can leave them in your mains.. Gonna look nice with all that space for them to wrestle their starfish..

:D

• SRC Member
wow, I want a couple in my tank too! they look real neat, for one. How much is a fair price for harlequin shrimps?

Thanks,

Hong Yee

P.S. HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

Depends on the size..

Depends on how much are you willing to pay for it.. :P

Depends on who selling them...

Depends on where it comes from...

But price range is around $16/18 - $30/40

i was just wondering what u meant by Skunks :unsure:  :blink:

Skunk is another term used for Cleaner Shrimp.

(Hope I'm not stealing Tango's thunder.... :P:P )

With all the hype generated from this thread, it's going to hard finding these guys from now on ..... :D

Just realised that the difficult part is distinguishing the males from the females, so unless you know how to; getting them to mate is going to be tough :huh:

So may be good idea to have some exchange program going until a match is made (Tango's Harlequin Matchmaking Service.... :lol: )

• SRC Member
Hello  Tango i was just reading this tread very beautiful shrimps *smile*  :D

i was just wondering what u meant by Skunks :unsure:  :blink:

Hmm i would love a pairs for those just in a 2feet tank *grin*

vivien  :angel:

Yup! As rumour said, they are commonly known as cleaner shrimps..

2 ft tank normally have nitrate problems.. So better make sure you are handling your bio filtration first..

If you want to know more about them, their diet and history, can follow read about them here

As for male and female, as what I read, I think it's the color of their tip of their legs.. But till now I still can't tell them apart.. But as long as they are living together happily... I am not complaining..

As for the exchanging part, Ermm I think you have to try your luck..

Because they might not get along at first, then after one week, you will see them together..

You got to try your luck.. Unless you can find them as a pair in the fish shop..

Hope these help..

Cheers~

• SRC Member

Skunk is another term used for Cleaner Shrimp.

(Hope I'm not stealing Tango's thunder.... :P:P )

With all the hype generated from this thread, it's going to hard finding these guys from now on ..... :D

Just realised that the difficult part is distinguishing the males from the females, so unless you know how to; getting them to mate is going to be tough :huh:

So may be good idea to have some exchange program going until a match is made (Tango's Harlequin Matchmaking Service.... :lol: )

Oh.. Rumour, your avatar very nice.. My harlequin shrimps eyeing on it already.. Where to get them? Hehehe :P

Oh.. Rumour, your avatar very nice.. My harlequin shrimps eyeing on it already.. Where to get them? Hehehe :P

:D This one skinny.... Let me find a fatter one.... :lol::lol:

Try searching for quality underwater photographs, save them as bitmaps (no less than 1024 x 768), resave as jpeg or gif etc, then resize, the distortions will be less obvious. ;)

Is it tough to find a pair of mated HS? May I be the first to request if anyone spots one, let me know ... :)

• SRC Member

Normally LFS will seperate them.. The only pair I've see so far was at Harlequin.. He said that he didn't put them together.. One of them crawled over to the other's cubicle..

The power of love... Hehehe

Normally LFS will seperate them.. The only pair I've see so far was at Harlequin.. He said that he didn't put them together.. One of them crawled over to the other's cubicle..

The power of love... Hehehe

Man.... then you just gotta buy them eh....? :)

• SRC Member

Man.... then you just gotta buy them eh....? :)

I didn't buy that pair.. Because at that time I have 3 in my tank.. A pair and a loner.. So got another one instead.. And at that time, he quoted me a staggering $35 each..

So got another one instead.. And at that time, he quoted me a staggering $35 each..

WOAH..... :o:o:o ... who? Harlequin?

I really would like to know what is he thinking? :blink:

But what would you think is a reasonable price for a mated pair? Reasonably sized of course. :) (Don't wanna kena 'TOK')