My harlequin shrimp in action..

TanGo

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member
it's kool. I saw it at harlequin but dare not buy cos don't know how to feed it. He says the feed only on starfish . .don' tknow where to get so much star fish for them ,. .and could be quite costly to maintain them .. i don't know.

Please advise

It's not hard to maintain lah.. They usually take a long time to finish a starfish.. I have 4 in my 2 ft tank.. 2 pairs ;)

• SRC Member
how do u maintain the starfish alive ?

Mine dies off in a week when i try to raise the starfish in tank to see if it'll survive for the harlequin shrimp to eat

My harlequin shrimp will keep the starfish alive.. Then they will slowly munch the limbs off.. then until nothing else to eat, then finish off the starfish..

:evil:

• SRC Member
how much is the starfish and size of starfish you buy for them. How long will a starfish last ? 1 week or a few days

Depends.. Sometimes I get it for $3.. Average size.. Sometimes I get it for $5.. Normally I get different speices.. It will last more than a week..

• SRC Member

Dunn worry, harlequin shrimps will finish the whole thing, get anything except the blue linkin star, they are more fleshy and have more fibres floating around the tank, the rest will only have bits of white skeleton chips lying on the sandbed.... not obvious one..

• SRC Member
issnt it abit cruel to buy defenceless n let e harlequin shrimp attack on it? ... :( any other thing we can try to feed it wif instead??

Its part of the food chain. Its like we eating defenceless chicken.. Are we being cruel? In the wild, harlequin shrimp control the population of starfishes...

It's not hard to maintain lah.. They usually take a long time to finish a starfish.. I have 4 in my 2 ft tank.. 2 pairs ;)

Just wondering, if your pairs are mated, would they spawn on a regular basis like AT's CBS?

Then would it be difficult then to buy starfish fitting to a small / juvenile Harlequin?

• SRC Member

That's not a bristle star, that's a sand sifter star. Those with DSB must avoid this starfish cause it will deplete sand fauna then starve to death.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

• SRC Member

Opps.. :paiseh: Anyway.. I think I lost one of the starfishes.. Might be in the sand somewhere..

I once saw in my tank, in the middle of the night.. on my way to the toilet, many tiny baby shrimps.. Dunno from who also.. Maybe my skunks or even the harlequins.. But after that, all dissapeared.. Maybe I should check my tank see if there are any extra shrimps swimming around.. Hehehe

on my way to the toilet, many tiny baby shrimps.. Dunno from who also.. Maybe my skunks or even the harlequins

Mated Skunks and Harlequins spawning eh? That ought to be a sight :)

If only can time properly, each pair spawning at alternating weeks; your fishes and corals will get to have a smogasbord every week.....saving you some treats every now and then.... :P:P

BTW, what are the odds are keeping the shrimp fries alive to juvenile-hood? (Tango's or coelacanth's brood...)

• SRC Member

Mated Skunks and Harlequins spawning eh? That ought to be a sight :)

If only can time properly, each pair spawning at alternating weeks; your fishes and corals will get to have a smogasbord every week.....saving you some treats every now and then.... :P:P

BTW, what are the odds are keeping the shrimp fries alive to juvenile-hood? (Tango's or coelacanth's brood...)

I think chances are slim.. Need to feed them brine shrimp food..

• SRC Member
Hi Tango, beautiful pictures. I know its a little :off: but what (ie: brand, model) camera are you using? Tripod?

Erm.. Cheapo camera.. Sony P31 no tripod.. Seldom see them in action, so when I saw my harlequin attacking the starfish, I quickly take out camera and take pictures liao.. No time to waste..

:P

• SRC Member

I don't know if there still any left but I saw alot of harlequin at Pacific Marine. Don't know how much but was tempted :evil: to get it but i should find out about it first. So from this thread, i'm glad i did'nt get it. :D

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you