Does it really help ??

• SRC Member

hi all - have noticed shops freezing water in mineral water bottles and then putting them in sump tanks and using it as sort of a 'chiller'.

my question is - does this really help ?? in perhaps lowering temp?? short term ??

your comments please

-Main Display Tank : 5ftx2.5ftx2.5ft [ 12mm throughout with euro bracing ]
-Light : Maxspect Glaive [ 2 sets of 2.5 ft ]
-Pump : Eheim 1262 and Eheim 1264
-Skimmer : Deltec SC2060 / Bubble Magus Curve 7

-Wavemaker: Jebao WP40 & WP60

When u add ice to water , the water gets chilled .

Why ice in mineral water , so the fresh water don't melt in the tank and lowers salinity.

Temporary solution to lower tank temperature. U need to change the ice bottle every 45mins -1hrs maybe less. They melt fast ..

Stairway to Heaven

• SRC Member

any bros here practice this method ? quite a tedious process ?

and by reducing temp - am presuming it would stabilize fish further and bring out the 'true colours' of the fish ?

Better to use cooling fan or chiller. Ice bottled melts fast. Need to change hourly.

Reefing since 2003
 4ft x 2ft x 2ft Mixed Reef (BB):-
50 Gal Sump,

Apex Controlled System (Lab grade),
Deltec SC1455 Protein Skimmer,
Vortech MP40wQD,

Jebao RW-15

Maxspect Razor 320w
Eheim 1260 Return Pump,
Hailea HS-66A 1/4HP chiller,
TLF Reactor 150, running HydroCarbon 

• SRC Member

Not recommended at all..a lot of work as need to keep changing the bottles & to freeze the bottles again take time thus more effort taken instead..the temperature up down too fast no good for the fishes oso..

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

thanks for all the advice bros - will look into the possibility of getting a chiller now... for a tank my size - 5x2.5x2.5ft - at least 1hp chiller ???

• SRC Member

can somebody advice me on the chiller minimum requirement for my FOWLR setup 5x2.5x2.5ft tank ?

• SRC Member

1/2 hp will do :) but 1hp you will save more on elec bill in my opinion.I am using a 1/3 for my 6ft tank elec consumption is still reasonable.

Cheers

Bro, u using a 1/3 hp chiller now?

Btw, if fish only, chiller is not necessary..:) unless ur hse is like a oven, very expensive & delicate fishes..haha..cheers

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Bro, u using a 1/3 hp chiller now?

Btw, if fish only, chiller is not necessary..:) unless ur hse is like a oven, very expensive & delicate fishes..haha..cheers

A lot of misunderstanding in keeping fish only. Keeping fish only do not require chiller especially cheap fishes.

Most of the fishes are found in the minimum depth of 20 to 30ft where temperature is about 25 to 27 deg. For deep water fishes 22 to 24 deg. Why in the first place do u want to torture the fish? Using fan causes large evaporation and water salinity kept increasing? And do u notice the colouration will not be as vibrant as the constant temperature at 27 deg min?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my favourite fish only.

Give me one more chance....

• SRC Member

A lot of misunderstanding in keeping fish only. Keeping fish only do not require chiller especially cheap fishes.

Most of the fishes are found in the minimum depth of 20 to 30ft where temperature is about 25 to 27 deg. For deep water fishes 22 to 24 deg. Why in the first place do u want to torture the fish? Using fan causes large evaporation and water salinity kept increasing? And do u notice the colouration will not be as vibrant as the constant temperature at 27 deg min?

normal room temp about 27 deg these days.. somehow or rather - having seen other livestocks at fish farms - noticed that my fish colours not as vibrant..what else could be a cause? they have been conditioned pretty well and feed heavily on pellets/seeweed.

• SRC Member

Bro, not here to start a debate..just sharing my experience, how I wish the temp of the sea about 20-30ft is 25-27°c at the dive sites like tioman, Phuket, Philippines, etc..sad to say global warming..I just went to Koh Lipe n I m surprised by the temp of water there but the marine life was ok..an Australia instructor there told me that he love diving at water temp 28-29°c..

Ok back to reefing, my benchmark temp for fish only is below 30°c..my tank uses a fan (off @ nite, sometime off in the day too as too cold)..evaporation is being taken care by a gravity drip system using a float, so water SG will b constant :) I believe in strong flow in tank so that fishes will not swim so easily in a confine space like our tank..I learn that wc is very important for fish only tank coz in the sea, water keep changing & moving ard, so wc stimulate that in our tank..wc oso flushes n dilute any parasites (most fishes will have parasite or virus in their body like human, they can live is because their body immune system can contain it..when fish scratch against object mean there's parasite)..Colour vibrant or not depend on a lot of factors..highlight again, I m not an expert & still learning everyday..:) cheers

• Like 1

@ 291213