Diatoms outbreak

• SRC Member

Hi guys, After cycling for nearly 1 month, I noticed my tank is outbreaking serious diatoms now. Come home each day from work to find my hands wet with the brushing of rocks and walls of tank. I was told that with high phosphate, will in turn prosper diatoms, thus a water change is most efficient. Or any other suggestions?

On the other hand, I noticed that buried beneath my sand bed, are air bubbles, seemingly known as nitrogens if I didn't say wrongly. Anyone knows how to redue such air bubbles buried in the sand?(As they are like gradually floating upwards at all floors, madam I got put air pump beneath the sand bed like that. LOL.)

• SRC Member

Yah, at the same time, air bubbles were also found in abundance clinging on the rocks' top, waiting for the right wave to release them into the surface. Bubbles, bubbles everywhere, LOL. Can someone tip me what you will do when you are in such situation? Other than WC, still only WC?

Off yr lights or reduce, yr tank not fully cycled

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

Off yr lights or reduce, yr tank not fully cycled

Thanks for this advise. I will follow from tomorrow onwards.

However, I have already 1 elegance coral, 1 green star polyps, 1 yellow polyps, will they be greatly affected if no on lights?

I realized it as like what you say, the lights is the factor. Coz the diatoms all grow on possible light shining areas only...

Reduce the timing or use more blue n less white light

Tank : 4 X 2 X 2 with low iron front panel and external overflow

Skimmer : BK SM200 with waste collector

Return Pumps : Red Dragon 6m3 and Ehiem 1262

FR : 2 X Deltec 509 & powered by AB2000

Nitrate Filter : Deltec NF 509 and tee off from AB2000

Calcium R'tor : Deltec PF 501 with RM secondary chamber

Kalkwasser R'tor : Deltec KM500

Chiller : Pansonic 1 HP Compressor with 20m titanium Coil

Wave Makers : 4 X Tunze 6055 with 7096 & Vortec MP40w

Controller : GHL Profilux

Lighting : ATI Powermodule 10 or 8 tubes

Water Top-up : Water Top-Up tank powered by Tunze Osmolator

External Monitor : American Pinpoint pH and Temp. Monitor for main tank and GHL Profilux Controller to measure temp, pH, Redox

Ozonizer : Sander C50

UV : Corallife 6x

Algae Scrubbler

• SRC Member

I encountered this before during the cycle. No worry. At that time I just wait and do partial water change. Eventually the bubble will gone. It take sometime.

I see, thank you, bro picoreef.

It's good to know that the bubbles can soon be gone.

I have yet to do any water change since my first set up last month.

I think my phosphate and light should have contributed to the diatoms.

Will do partial WC today. LOL (Partial WC! This abbreviation sure is funny)

I'm new, so I have to get use to the terms. Haha

After u complete the cycling process, it is important to do a major wc before introducing livestocks. Diatoms, new tank synchrome are part and parcel. Once the tank stabilizes it should be gone. Test ur water regularly and keep all nutrients at bay :)

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

• SRC Member

After u complete the cycling process, it is important to do a major wc before introducing livestocks. Diatoms, new tank synchrome are part and parcel. Once the tank stabilizes it should be gone. Test ur water regularly and keep all nutrients at bay :)

Ho Bro Alexcyf. Yah lor, I think I have missed that step, and will do WC today. Hoping to get over this Diatoms stage soon, and can skip the green to go into coralline algae stage. By the way, bro, keeping all nutrients at bay is a very cheem term for me.

Can you elaborate on this point? I really would like to know more on this too. Thank you in advance for your time bro.

• SRC Member

I read somewhere that diatom is cause by high silica from new piping or tab water. Even with 0.00 phoshate u can still get diatom.

Can elaborate what is high silicate and how it come about? I think I read it from this forum too. Some seniors wrote on this topic.

I go search for it again too.

• SRC Member

No choice alway have algae and have few type.. After some time just dont care already so long the coral growing nice and slowly once your sump get dirty and full of algae your display will look nicer...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Use waves maker to blow in between rock or area the algae grow. And doing weekly wc

Hi Bro Vinccc2009, I had wanted to too, but algae algae everywhere...

Wavemakers also Buay Hoo(not fast enough), and Bo Gao(Not enough)! LOL

Anyway, I will stick to WC, which I did last Sat, and it did reduce significantly.

Thank you for your advise too.

Hi Bro, you can try adding bio pellet into your filter or buy some chemical to dose, personally I'm using bio pellet to reduce the phosphate level in my tank, having a mini diatom bloom as well.. Already did a 40% WC too. Can try asking the more pro bros here to recommend you on what works. Jia you!

• SRC Member

Hi guys, diatoms period gone, the difficult stage now: Green Algae!

I understood that after green algae, if water conditions are good, coraline algae will be next.

However some may never see coraline algae growth too.

Anyone has recommendations to rid green algae, and speed coraline algae?

Thanks in advance guys.

Green algae U will need algae eating crews. As for coralline some like to raise mg and ca to a slightly higher level while some choose to dose those coralline growth additives. Another method is to get liverocks that's full of coralline algae on it and scrape them into your tank to seed them

• 4 weeks later...