How many FOWLR don't use Chiller? max temperature reading?

• SRC Member

hi guys, i'm thinking of starting a big fowlr tank, so need to tap on your expertise / experiences without chiller,

> how to keep temp down

> max temperature u have hit without casualties

> what's a good thermometer to use

> what to dose to keep brilliant colour of angels, etc

Thanks for sharing :cheers:

• SRC Member

1. Use fan, put in windy area. if not wrong, ur place can put outside ur house right bro.

2.before I used chiller last time for my old fowlr, max 32 degrees. but fish seem unhappy.

3. any thermometer will be okay I think.

4. for colours, no need to dose anything.

anyways, if u were to ask me, since u already contemplating whether to go without chiller, any drop in colour or fish death will slightly be blamed on high temperature haha.

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want to impress people they don't like.

• SRC Member

Bro dryDiver, this is bro xeneryx's FOWLR link..

imho, the Colour of fish depend on a lot of factors..no.1 is the fish itself (handsome pretty is its life)haha..no.2 is the care u give (clean water, good food,etc)temp of water?it can b a great debate :)..no.3 is the lighting when u are viewing the fish (some like more blue, some like more white, some like dim dim, etc..)

Cheers & hope to see ur FOWLR setup soon :)

@ 291213

Updated video: Kenyee FOWLR

http://m.youtube.com/my_videos

• SRC Member

Mine reached 31deg... But so far so good, still my angels and tangs eating heartily... Maybe due to hi temp... Otherwise color of fishes still ok for me, no fading detected so far... My tank already running 2 years in total but last 6 mths without chiller...

• SRC Member

Bro dryDiver, this is bro xeneryx's FOWLR link..

imho, the Colour of fish depend on a lot of factors..no.1 is the fish itself (handsome pretty is its life)haha..no.2 is the care u give (clean water, good food,etc)temp of water?it can b a great debate :)..no.3 is the lighting when u are viewing the fish (some like more blue, some like more white, some like dim dim, etc..)

Cheers & hope to see ur FOWLR setup soon :)

Kenyee Tks for the link. Lots of info.

Seems like temp can hit 31c with happy eating fish

• SRC Member

Bro... Max shld be 31deg but must still give the fishes good quality food and frequent water changes as they tend to eat more when temperature higher.. I used to keep my 4 ft FOWLR at 27deg using chiller... Tats wat i see in the different... Even now i throw in OF bloodworm also they eat...

• SRC Member

When I woke up this morning after feeding my eels raw prawns last night. Saw 1 left over cooked orange prawn this morning. Prawn cooked overnight when it was supposed to be the coolest time of the day. Cant imagine during daytime what kind of torture the fishes going through slowly being cooked.

• SRC Member

When I woke up this morning after feeding my eels raw prawns last night. Saw 1 left over cooked orange prawn this morning. Prawn cooked overnight when it was supposed to be the coolest time of the day. Cant imagine during daytime what kind of torture the fishes going through slowly being cooked.

I think the prawn turn orange its because firstly its died n little heat in seawater can turn it orange..what's ur tank water temp anyway? :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Not too sure. Nv bother with temperature before. But water was warm when dipped my hand in to fish out the prawn. Didnt know dead prawn will turn orange with heat haha. Usually put about 4 to 5hours max nv see change colour before.

• SRC Member

Not too sure. Nv bother with temperature before. But water was warm when dipped my hand in to fish out the prawn. Didnt know dead prawn will turn orange with heat haha. Usually put about 4 to 5hours max nv see change colour before.

Ok haha bro..now u know it lo..suggest u get a thermometer..cheap cheap one like those glass tube type will do..I dunnoe ur hand say warm is how hot, but if my hand say warm, the water temp will b above 31°C for sure..cheers & happy reefing yea :)

@ 291213

• SRC Member

Bro maybe your eels eat sashimi only. :)

Anyway it's a default test that your eels can take temp above 31c.

Suggest u get a thermometer n enlighten us.

• SRC Member

Now my temp is kept at 26-27.

Hmm I have 2 eel, 2 frostbite clownfish, 2 damsels, 1 French angel, 1 Picasso trigger.

However the French angel have some shimmering patches on the skin for very long now maybe discolouration, could be the heat, no idea.