Skimmer and carbon

Valleyman

A skimmer will probably be a better long-term maintenance solution and cheaper to run as opposed to constant use of carbon.

Carbon can be used intermittently to supplement a PS.

The primary function of good carbon eg. GAC, is that it is excellent at immediate removal of dissolved organics and chemicals in water eg. medication, yellowing components (which a PS may not properly do/can't do without ozone supplementation).

The shortcoming of GAC is that it becomes saturated quickly and its effectiveness diminishes quickly within a few days (depending on bioload). However, it could become a biological filter if kept for a long time (not recommended). The danger is that it could leach back the stuff it absorbed if not replaced quickly. Treat carbon like a sponge... once it absorbs the 'bad stuff' till saturation... throw it away.

Also, poorer quality GAC may actually leach phosphates into your tank... causing a new set of problems.

Note that overuse of GAC at one time could shock corals as the water becomes cleaner and clearer, causing light to penetrate deeper, potentially causing sensitive corals to bleach. It's a possiblity which has been highlighted before.

• SRC Member

The typical carbon package of 16 oz is too much to be used at one time in a tank.

Because of what AT expliained with respect to leaching back of old carbon, I recommend that you use only 2 or 3 ozs at one time, and change in about 2 weeks.

• SRC Member

In simple terms, carbon picks up where the skimmer leaves off.

Skimmers get the big bits and carbon cleans up the rest.

Poor quality carbons like for luohan filter leach large amounts of phosphates and are poor at absorbing pollutants. Use a good brand like chemipure, black diamond, sea chem matrix carbon etc.

A skimmer will probably be a better long-term maintenance solution and cheaper to run as opposed to constant use of carbon.

Carbon can be used intermittently to supplement a PS.

The primary function of good carbon eg. GAC, is that it is excellent at immediate removal of dissolved organics and chemicals in water eg. medication, yellowing components (which a PS may not properly do/can't do without ozone supplementation).

The shortcoming of GAC is that it becomes saturated quickly and its effectiveness diminishes quickly within a few days (depending on bioload). However, it could become a biological filter if kept for a long time (not recommended). The danger is that it could leach back the stuff it absorbed if not replaced quickly. Treat carbon like a sponge... once it absorbs the 'bad stuff' till saturation... throw it away.

Also, poorer quality GAC may actually leach phosphates into your tank... causing a new set of problems.

Note that overuse of GAC at one time could shock corals as the water becomes cleaner and clearer, causing light to penetrate deeper, potentially causing sensitive corals to bleach. It's a possiblity which has been highlighted before.

My tank is fast over-running with brown algae (dinoflagellate ?) and I am scrambling for phosguard as I read that phosphate is one of the main culprit. Have just installed a PRIZM skimmer and if carbon leaches out phosphate, then it's a no no now. For my algae problem, other than reduce feeding/lightings, skimming and introducing phosguard, what do you guys recommend ? Dread to see my setup cover with these brown stuff.

:cry:

• SRC Member

Having carbon wouldnt hurt xenia/Anthelia

just that they're good absorber of DOC too..

so having carbon or too clean tank might slow the growth

Good lighting is more essential for xenia.