Live food

• SRC Member

Hi fellow reefers,

I was wondering if there's any services whr they deliver live marine food (rotifiers, phytoplankton, tigger pods etc) at affordable cost?

If there is any how come there's not much hype abt it? Anyone thought of doing it ad hoc to benefit the community?

Would thr be an interest if thr is one ( based on my assumption that thr isnt any at the moment)

• 2 months later...

Hi fellow reefers,

I was wondering if there's any services whr they deliver live marine food (rotifiers, phytoplankton, tigger pods etc) at affordable cost?

If there is any how come there's not much hype abt it? Anyone thought of doing it ad hoc to benefit the community?

Would thr be an interest if thr is one ( based on my assumption that thr isnt any at the moment)

I will soon to have some type of phytoplankton, You can message me if you r still interested! and maybe rotifiers

• SRC Member

Im growing my own live adult brine shrimps in a 6 litres plastic container. It is not difficult and can be self sustained.

But having said that it is quite abit of work and long duration to grow them. So I guess thats why not much people are into this? Not worth the effort for very little money.

• SRC Member

Hi so confirm the sea monkeys that local market are selling in individual packaging are actually brine shrimps and good for marine fishes?

Hi Martin,

Yes, Brine Shrimps are also called Sea Monkeys.  They are those pink/orange tiny shrimps you can sometimes find packed in plastic bags sold at some LFS.

Good for marine fishes?  Well they are a source of food for the marine fishes, though not as nutritious as Mysis.

• SRC Supporter

Freshly hatched baby brine shrimps are supposed to be very nutritious. Unfortunately, most LFS don't carry it anymore. You'll need to hatch them on your own.

Adult brine shrimps are less nutritious but nevertheless still a food source. They are good to keep fishes alive as you slowly accustom them to frozen food or pellets.

You can fortify the adult brine shrimps by feeding them Selcon (available at LFS) prior to feeding them to your fishes.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

• SRC Supporter

I would feed the other fishes first. Once they are fuller, they won't rush for the brine shrimps so much & let the mandarins have a chance to eat them.

Don't worry about the other fishes, they will still take pellet food in future.

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/