Need ID for an unexpected guest

• SRC Member

Hi all, I'm actually new to marine (been doing freshwater for the last few years) and decided to go simple and get a FOWLR running. I included a pic of my setup, for those who are curious. Just a small 2x1x1.5 ft tank about 8kg live rock, 8kg live sand and a 400 l/hr Boyu filter running in the back for flow. What I didn't expect was an unexpected hitch-hiker from the live rock. From research, I was expecting worms or crabs, but to my surprise i got a fish.

DSC_1965_zps3arsxgtk.jpg

DSC_1959_zpsw56qp0yc.jpg

DSC_1971_zpscxg4rnza.jpg

I was going to just let my system cycle but now I have this extra burden lol. I'm keeping a close eye on him and testing water every day to make sure he doesn't suffer cycling trauma. At least he eats well, any kind of pellet and he will just whack. Anyone knows what this guy is? I've been googling and it seems to be a kind of Anthias, but it doesn't really look like that either. He's purple with a yellow belly stripe and tail. Thanks!

• SRC Member

Thanks for the info guys! I think you're right, it is a damselfish, just not sure which one - most of them look blue while mine is purple. But his behavior is definitely classic damselfish - He is already actively "shaping" the tank. He is fanning the sand to create new holes and caves to camp in and also attacks everything in sight... even attacks the hydrometer :P

I wondering In the first place how the fish survive in the live rock that u buy?? There is no water when u bring home!!

Make it is hiding itself among the rocks.

• SRC Member

Haha, actually he's not so incredible. Just that I bought the live rock from a fellow reefer and he was nice enough to put all the LR inside a foam box filled with water... That's how the hitch-hiker damselfish survived :D