clam gaping like crazy

• SRC Member

been like this for 2weeks ardi. still alive n kicking. happen to me b4 but onli a matter of a few days but this is 2 weeks. still very responsive of movement n light.

water param seems fine. cal at 440 ppm ph at 8.2 temp at 17c and 9dkh :cry:

post-21-1079279225.jpg

• SRC Member

Assuming it is at 27°C and not 17°C, there's nothing much you can do with these gaping clams. The best is not to stress it and left it be. Ensure that there aren't anything that can attack or irritate it at the moment. I've had gaping clams recover on their own but some just die.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

If its gaping, prepare to lose it.

A crocea that I was babysitting suddenly started gaping and then it died. :( (sorry, you know who)

All my other maximas and deresa are perfectly fine. :huh:

Sometimes clams will pass on for no reason.

Just watch out for the dreaded clam disease. I was hit by it before.. lost all my clams one by one consecutively in a short time.

• SRC Member

Friend what's your lighting???

That is not gaping

That is a Squamosa, not Crocea.....and it might not attach to rock or sand

Mantle have not retract

Still got chance

Stress too high & lack of food -> What your lightiings!!!!!-? move it under high light area!

Feed BioPlankton - Target feeding 2x a day -> might not work as well, since Crocea and Maxima response to feeding better.

Next time post a technical detail of your setup- without this what help help what!!! :angry::angry:

Max

• SRC Member
Friend what's your lighting???

That is not gaping

That is a Squamosa, not Crocea.....and it might not attach to rock or sand

Mantle have not retract

Still got chance

Stress too high & lack of food -> What your lightiings!!!!!-? move it under high light area!

Feed BioPlankton - Target feeding 2x a day -> might not work as well, since Crocea and Maxima response to feeding better.

Next time post a technical detail of your setup- without this what help help what!!! :angry::angry:

Max

hey u dun have to be so harsh.theres a link to my tank specs. the clam has been under 110wats of pc and15watt of fl. the lighting is enough for a squamosa n hipopus IMO.besides, its only 14 inch from the lights n no sign of bleaching after more than half a yr :)

aniwae i tried MH lighting but it gapped even more and then jus closes. remember, my tank is shallow n squamosa dun need that much light. i dun think lighting is an issue here.its just a squamosa.

and i read up sumwhr that if the light is too intense, squamosas develop central bleaching :(

well this baby has been fine den gap for a day or two den fine again. but this is two whole weeks. think i will start to double dose my dts.i have nt lost any clams b4 and will do watever i can so that i wont lost another :thanks:

• SRC Member

Did you take it out of the water? If so, there might be air bubbles trapped in the clam, causing it to be like this. Also, your lights may not be enough is your tank is deep.

I think (marine) therefore I am

• SRC Member

Was the water quality that bad? Did you test the parameters before and after the water change? It'll help you to trouble shoot better.

Yes, the clam does look better after the water change. Hope it recovers. :)

Do you dose iodin?

Also, would be great if you could share with us your water parameters. One more question, how do you maintain your Ca and Alk levels? Don't think it's in your '2ft tank' thread.

Btw, the Crocea shown in your other thread (even though it's surviving), requires better lighting. 1x55W 50/50 and 1x55W 20000K is inadequate. At a minimum, you may want to replace the 20000K with another 50/50, if not a 10000K. Even better if you can add another 55 or 110watts if you're sticking to PLs.

• SRC Member
Was the water quality that bad? Did you test the parameters before and after the water change? It'll help you to trouble shoot better.

Yes, the clam does look better after the water change. Hope it recovers. :)

Do you dose iodin?

Also, would be great if you could share with us your water parameters. One more question, how do you maintain your Ca and Alk levels? Don't think it's in your '2ft tank' thread.

Btw, the Crocea shown in your other thread (even though it's surviving), requires better lighting. 1x55W 50/50 and 1x55W 20000K is inadequate. At a minimum, you may want to replace the 20000K with another 50/50, if not a 10000K. Even better if you can add another 55 or 110watts if you're sticking to PLs.

thanks danano for ur advise. :)

im using seachem reef complete n another seachem product to raise the kh level. before i do anythng i test the water for cal, ph n kh too. then i test again after dosing it. when i dose cal n kh, i do it on two different days ;)

about the lighting, its 1 pl 50/50 and one pl actinic and one fl 20 000k. i dont see the point abt adding more pls as im gg to upgrade to t5s and possibly mh in the near furture.

what i suspect that is wrong is that i think its the lps warefare issue that is affecting my clams.

again, thanks for ur advise :)