Upgrade from 100L to 250L

FaLong

Looking fwd to more updates & pics!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

ce7f2f884b82696c62f280a0ec90070f.jpg

Alright! Objective for the weekend achieved:

-The sump is now filled up with 35L (I bought at the LFS to save time)

- I bought 4kg of live rock that I will leave temporally in the sump

I have put a pipe to connect the pump and drive the flow from phase 3 to phase 1 of the sump.

I will wait one week and observe. Then, I will top up enough water in the main tank to reach the overflow and connect the pump in the sump to the return pipe.

Do you think I will have an amonia spike in the sump water or the bacteria in the live rock will be able to handle it?

• SRC Member
Hmm ur sump design. Where u intend to place the protein skimmer? The LR portion??

Sent from my potato using Tapatalk

Yup. I plan to move the LR to the display tank and put there the skimmer.

Here are more details about my sump design. Any advise is welcome!

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/138030-Set-up-new-sump

• SRC Member

d004a3d67a21c9d5680e1beecb36ac9c.jpg

In only one day, amonia in the sump tank has growth much more than I expected.

798632e9d3ba588780b7183438703b5c.jpg

On the other hand NO2 is growing and there are already trace of NO3. I hope using the LR will help to reduce the cycling process.

This also has raised a point I didn't think about it before: I will need some extra water for getting rid of the amonia, before connecting the tanks.

• SRC Member

350751f5b3710b045808dec1519c25b3.jpg

fde35dda77a6d3eaa146f62c7717aeb2.jpg

BONUS:

I managed to save these new friends who came hidden in the LR. They were trying to run away from amonia, so I could trap them and move them to my display tank:

- 1 starfish

- 2 crabs

- 1 hermit crab

- 1 snail

- 1 lobster look alike crab

• SRC Member
What uv u using? Don use china type one, have seen 1 melt before. At least the coralife uv twist will be better

I still don't own one. I will get one when the sump starts running.

• SRC Member

Actually. I use stability to start my tank. It helps.

I also use my skim mate from my other tank to kick start the cycling process.

Within 2 week. Tank fully cycle. Fish go in on the 15th day.

Uv shouldnt be on as good bacteria might be free floating. Only on for 24hr before u intend to put fish inside

• SRC Member

hmm how come there's ammonia spike? Thought you using LR from your existing tank?

Thats exactly the CORRECT way to do it, and how I should have proceed... but I became overambitious, I thought that I could top up some extra LR that I will need for my DT. I am afraid that now I have screwed it and now is like having to different aquariums. I guess that trying to get a shortcut has only brought me to a longer wait...

Btw, that looks like a pistol shrimp? It has only one big pincer right?

Yes, exactly! Is it coral friendly? Shall I keep it or better remove it?

• SRC Member

Yup the ammonia spoke is most prob from something that has died inside the new LR? You can ID which are the new rocks right? One way to cfm which LR is the problematic one, can try the smell test :)  as long as it stinks & doesn't smell like the sea, that salty smell, means there's something inside causing your ammonia spike.

otherwise, just leave it in there & dose bacteria? But the concern is that you already have livestock which won't be happy with the ammonia....personally I would remove that bad LR & not let cause more mess.

pistol shrimp I don't think will disturb coral, but I have not had one so maybe some of the other forumers here can help advise too

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

[3 October UPDATE]

Here is how the execution of my strategy looked like: new salt water bought from Ah Beng, additional life rock bough at Sea Life, and all the long pipes to allow the cannistier filter continue working for the display tank.

At the end I activated the pump, but I put a flexible piple to connect phase 3 with phase 1 in the sump, so it gives some movement to the water.

20151003_143711.jpg

20151003_143726.jpg

Edited by FaLong

• SRC Member

[10 October UPDATE]

My ideas has failed again! I expected the LR to be curated, but it is creating a huge ammonia spike in the sump. Luckily the display tank continues running independently with the canister filter and its parameters remain stable. I notice something wrong was going on when suddenly I noticed that there were many worms going out of the rock and dying. I manage to save some new friends (http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/138119-new-friends-from-live-rock/)

As I panicked  I made another mistake: half of the week I decided to go to Ah Ben to buy more saltwater and do an almost full water change of the sump. I was afraid that the ammonia would kill the bacteria in the new LR, but indeed, the ammonia kills fishes but feeds this bacteria!. I just did a lot of extra work for nothing, and probably delaying the curating process of these rocks.

At least I had some good idea after reading comments on this forum: I added one of the little rocks I had in my display tank to see if it would help to propagate bacteria faster...

20151005_082327.jpg

• SRC Member

[17 October UPDATE]

Eureka!!! Adding the rock from my display tank to the sump, has done the miracle! Ammonia has gone down from over 8 to 0. NO2 has also going down during the week and very low NO3. I went again to Ah Beng for another 30L of salt water. I got rid of the old sump water, just in case, and replaced it with this fresher one.

I moved all the LR to the display tank (all but one, with very weird black texture on it http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/topic/138120-black-texture-on-lr-surface/), just to find out that I need much more than the extra 3.5 Kgs I bought. (task for next weekend I guess, but this time I will cure them before in a pail!)

The great news is that (FINALLY) the sump is connected to the display tank. I have removed the canister filter, put its media in a net, and put it on the first phase of the sump.

20151020_082248.jpg

• SRC Member

Since the sump has been running, I have noticed that the water is much more clear!

It has been almost a month since I move to this new system, and the first algae seems to start to appear. I am not sure what is it, but the sand in the side of the aquariun near a window is becoming brownish, and some circles are appearing on the glass.

Shall I clean it or let it be until everything gets more stable?

20151020_082634.jpg

• SRC Member

During the last days I am also much conscious about how unsafe is the sump system: if there is any failure water can overload anywhere and make a huge mess in your apartment.

I am getting paranoid about this point, and continuously checking the levels to try to prevent a clog than can suppose water coming out from the tank. I read a lot about flow valves, but most online comments seems to be against them, as they can create more problems than what they solve. The problem is that some times I need to travel for two weeks, and I will feel very worried if something goes wrong. Any ideas how to prevent it?

Besides, I am trying to reduce as much as possible the level of noise from the aquarium, as it is in the living room, near the sofa. I put some wool covering outflow hole of the display tank, as it was doing a terrible sink hole noise. Do you think this is a safe solution? Or it may clog the whole a cause the water spill out of the tank?

20151020_082412.jpg

• SRC Member

During the last days I am also much conscious about how unsafe is the sump system: if there is any failure water can overload anywhere and make a huge mess in your apartment.

I am getting paranoid about this point, and continuously checking the levels to try to prevent a clog than can suppose water coming out from the tank. I read a lot about flow valves, but most online comments seems to be against them, as they can create more problems than what they solve. The problem is that some times I need to travel for two weeks, and I will feel very worried if something goes wrong. Any ideas how to prevent it?

Besides, I am trying to reduce as much as possible the level of noise from the aquarium, as it is in the living room, near the sofa. I put some wool covering outflow hole of the display tank, as it was doing a terrible sink hole noise. Do you think this is a safe solution? Or it may clog the whole a cause the water spill out of the tank?

20151020_082412.jpg

hi bro.. The filter will sure clog.. Please remove.. U may read about herbie overflow.. Hope it helps.

Cheers.

• SRC Member
Hi bro it will clog the tank if your sponge get stuck, remove the sponge and take a picture so we can give a good advise how to add a durso pipe in it

Thanks, bro. Where can I buy a durso pipe?

4525a464370ed4c9308ad3547d168cbe.jpg

2a378374e8c9a3bee4dc6b5013c9bb17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hardware shop. Hahaha. Just look for the pvc pipe, you need a elbow and a straight one

It has been a giant leap for a man, but one small step for mankind!!!

After two desperate weeks looking in every uncle hardware store, I had been finally able to do it!

It works like a charm. No noise, and the little hole in the cover is one of the greatest miracles in science! Incredible how important it is.

Challenge accomplished: 0 noise, and big important security improvement. 8512600ace5f8d4ccce7bdcea10c5bfe.jpg