Superglue coral safe?

• SRC Member

Hi guys, read up that people use normal superglue to glue corals onto rocks and frag plugs. They say any cyanoacrylate-based glue is safe to use. However, I went to buy the "elephant" superglue from a bookstore but have no iden if it's cyanoacrylate based because it doesn't say on the package. Anyone has experience using elephant glue on corals? Will it mess up the tank? Thanks

efb07b906da849e483229499f43bf1d3.jpg

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Hi guys, read up that people use normal superglue to glue corals onto rocks and frag plugs. They say any cyanoacrylate-based glue is safe to use. However, I went to buy the "elephant" superglue from a bookstore but have no iden if it's cyanoacrylate based because it doesn't say on the package. Anyone has experience using elephant glue on corals? Will it mess up the tank? Thanks

efb07b906da849e483229499f43bf1d3.jpg

use this all the time. No issue. The other alternative is reef epoxy. I don't think it's really required if you are just gluing down frags.

• SRC Supporter
use this all the time. No issue. The other alternative is reef epoxy. I don't think it's really required if you are just gluing down frags.

Best is wait for it to cure fully before putting it into the water.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Thanks, fully agree on full cure before putting back in tank. Read before that the glue sets upon contact with water? Guess this varies... 

To be very sure, I swirl the glued piece in a container of tank water before putting back into DT

• SRC Member

Thanks for the info guys. Actually I'm just cheapo haha. Since I have superglue lying around, I thought I ahold use it instead of going to LFS to get coral glue. I read online that a lot of reefers use $1 superglue, but I also heard that the liquid one is hard to work with. Anyway I haven't glued it yet. I have 2 new torch corals inside already. Gonna let them stabilize first before I try anything funny. Currently I'm just propping them up by sticking them in some holes in my LR. But my cleaner shrimp damn irritating, knock them 45 degrees every now and then

• SRC Member

That's what I'm doing too haha... Go to mama shop buy elephant glue, 2 tubes for less than $2. As long as it says cyanoacrylate on the packing, I'm good to go

Some people will prefer coral glue, etc... Well, whatever rocks your boat haha

yes, the clear type is very hard to work with because it's so runny. try to use the gel ones which will make working less of a mess. I've involuntarily glued myself to live rock before lol

• SRC Member

Update... I tried to use the glue but it was super messy. I wanted to stick some torch corals onto rocks. End up I gave up and just propped them up into some holes on my LR... Turns out after 1 week, they stuck themselves onto the rock! Wasn't expecting that lol

• SRC Member

well that worked too, good thing they stayed inside the holes without being disturbed by the other animals or got blown out by the current.. In the end no need to glue or tie or put a mesh over! Nicely done!

• SRC Member

Yeah lucky break for me. I forgot that corals are smart enough to help themselves when their conditions are not optimum. Just noticed that both stalks of my torch corals formed a layer of calcium to fill up the hole in the LR to anchor themselves down. Very cool, though that means i better dose supplements to make up for lost calcium and magnesium :lol:

Edited by tuajia