My 2.5 ft LPS mix reef

icliao

Hi there. Thank you for your warm welcome.

This setup has been through hell initially.  I had very bad base rocks and a few sub par liver rocks to begin with.  The water actually turn yellow and milky a few days later. I also made the common mistake or stocking fast and furious.  It was loaded with 20 fish and full (every inch) of corals.  I thought I can pull through with chemical filtration such as RowaPhos, Biosphere and Algone but the system continue to be plagued by red slime and hair algae to the point I really want to give up.  Many livestock lost and everything I do such as massive water change/ siphoning just didn't help.  So a few months ago I decided to tear it down and start from ground zero.  I shut off light completely over a week to kill all micro algae and remove all livestocks/ sand and clean all rocks up and redo the tank. I kept the what's left over fish and the tank went through a short algae boom and after 3 weeks I added the corals and again the tank went through another mini cycle. I also reduce the rock frame and added more Tunze pumps one aim into the center of the rock cave blowing into the bottom so I don' t have any dead spot anymore.  Now my tank is 2 months after the reset and the water looks sparkling.  I still use the same equipment but I think the key is not to over stock and stock slowly and don't overfeed.  I had a big group of barlet anthias before and I had to feed several time a day and that may have accounted to the problem. 

My equipment as following:

Light:  AI Hydra 26 x 2 set

Skimmer: Delctec SR 1455

Circulation:

Tunze Turbella 6095 x 2

Tunze wavebox

Mainpump: Deltec 5000l/h

Chiller: Resun CL650

Chemical filtration: 

RowaPhos

Polylab Biosphere

Algone

Addictives:

Polylab One

Polylab Reef-roid

This is the photo of my old tank before crash.  Glorious but over stock and did not last unfortunately.

DSC04869.JPG

Ur old setup really look gorgeous!!

Display Tank : 36" x 20" x 20" Herbie overflow box design, Sump : 36" x 21" x 17", Frag Tank : 16” x 20” x 16”, custom built by Tank Culture.

Lightings : Ecotech  Radion XR15 Pro x 2 for Main Display Tank, Inled R80 x 1 for Frag Tank.

Chiller : Dalkin 1hp compressor with build-in drop coil.

Skimmer : Skimz Octa SC205i Protein Skimmer.

FR : H2Ocean FMR75 Fluidised Media Reactor with Hailea HX-2500 (Feeder Pump) running Rowaphos.

CR : Skimz Monzter E Series CM122 Calcium Reactor.

BPR: Marine Source Biopellet  Reactor with Continuum Reef Biopellet Fuel. 

Main Return Pump : SICCE Syncra ADV 9.0 & Jebao ACQ-10000 Water Pump.

Wavemaker : Jebao MOW-9 x2 for Main Display Tank & Jebao SLW-20M  Sine Wave Pump for  Frag Tank.

Water Top Up: AutoAqua Smart ATO Lite.