Smelly sand

tuajia

• SRC Member

Hi all, just encountered something new as a beginner hobbyist. I had a pail for live sand from a bro and had extra so I left it in a pail with water and an air stone to provide some flow and left it for a few weeks. Then just yesterday I was going to set up a new 10g tank so I decided to scoop up the extra sand. Big mistake!! The sand was super freaking smelly and a lot of black sediment came up. Still, I had no choice but set up the tank anyway but I poured away as much of the black sediment as possible and filled the tank with new water. I can still smell it, but much less. Two things:

1. I asume this is caused by anaerobic bacteria due to the deep sandbed I created in the pail. The smell is probably hydrogen sulphide. Is this correct?

2. Is it safe to just use this sand since I removed most of the black water? I have live rock on standby. The tank is meant for a peacock mantis.

Currently my peacock mantis is still in a pail with an air stone and live rock so he should still be able to tahan a few days while I try to figure out a solution. Appreciate the help people! Thanks!

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Possibly some hydrogen sulphide was released from parts of the sand that was deeper in the pail? The black sediment could be metallic sulphides. Some reefers experience this with DSB too

• SRC Member

Hmm, I filtered a lot.of it out with a filter pump already but still some left. Left it running overnight and the smell is mostly gone now. I'll try putting my mantis in soon as he looks super grumpy now...

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk