Dottyback killed my cleaner shrimp!

Denniszz

• SRC Member

Dottybacks r known to Attack shrimps if I'm not wrong. However, I managed to keep both of them together in my 1 ft tank last time by adding the fish only after the shrimp resided in the tank for a few weeks.

I believe Personality and size of the fish do play a part too..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Not mine.. I lost 2 cleaners in a month while trying to add to my dt. My current stock is 1 blue fin damsel, 2 green chromis, 1 tomato n 1 unknown yellow wrasse. When try to introduce the shrimp, it can't last for 2 days, not sure who is the killer

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Did you properly acclimatise the shrimp before putting it into your DT?  Shrimps are more sensitive to changes in water parameters, so you need to acclimatise them slowly.

Also, add the shrimp in after lights out, when all other fishes are hiding in their own holes.  Let it have time to search for its own hiding hole first.  This will help alleviate the stress of it being suddenly added into a tank with so many aggressive fishes.

• SRC Member
I did acclimatise it for about 1/2 hr but did not wait till lights off.

Will try again n this time release it after light off. Hopefully it can survive. Thanks for your advise DottyClown

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I think 30minutes is too short. You should drop acclimate them for at least 45minutes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dottybacks are very territorial. I used to have the bicolour dottyback and it chased every single fish that goes near him. But my previous dottyback had not killed my cleaner shrimp before. 

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• SRC Member

Yeah, 30 by 30 is too small to have anything bigger than 2" in general. If it helps, my super aggressive damsel that was whacking every single creature in my tank still didn't really disturb my 2 cleaners after they claimed a rock on the right end of my 2 feet tank. Bear in my my cleaners were also very aggressive, so maybe that's how everyone maintained a truce? Haha

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk