Cleaning aquarium glass

SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

Starting a thread here to share & seek ideas on cleaning the inside glass of the tank. Please share the products you are using.

1) Filter Wool

P1311289.jpg

- Cheap. Dispose after use. Or recycle to clean stuff like skimmer after than

- Cons : Need to stick hands into the aquarium. Some rock work too near glass narrow for my hands to reach

2) Credit Card

P1311288.jpg

- Great for scraping the glass & sand bed area

3) Tunze care magnet

P1311300.jpg

- Saw a couple of reefers using it with good feedback

- Seems good for large surfaces. Bcos its just a plastic blade, its great for scraping glass near the sand bed. No worries about sand getting stuck on the pads & scratching the glass

P1311302.jpg

- Cons : Does not float. Handle is not very ergonomic. You need to hold it with a 'pinch' grip but its manageable.

4) DD H2 Ocean Mag Scraper

P1311312.jpg

- My favorite glass cleaner so far

- Super effective for stubborn green algae which was impossible to scrape off with the credit card. 

- The blade can reach the sand bed. Just need some care not to pick up sand between the pads.

- Ergonomic. It floats.

P1311291.jpg

- The blade is removable

5) Kent marine scraper

P1311304.jpg

- Removable / replaceable blade. It also comes with a metal blade.

- Still need to stick my hand into the water. I preferred the credit card to the plastic blade though

6) Long brush (Pure Aquatic Algae Grash)

P1311309.jpg

- Just a very long toothbrush. Quite good for hard to reach areas within the rocks if you cant or don't want to stick your hand in the water.

Do share interesting practice or products ..................

Edited by SubzeroLT
  • Like 1

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

My Favourite is still the flipper magnet. The replacement blades do cost abit more, but last a Long time. Haven't scratched my glass once since using flipper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Love Stagsss

• SRC Member

I usually place a piece of filter wool between the glass surface and the inner magnet for my glass cleaner. But it does kinda suck since you cant really reach all the way to the sand bed that way

• SRC Supporter

My Favourite is still the flipper magnet. The replacement blades do cost abit more, but last a Long time. Haven't scratched my glass once since using flipper.

Nice.... I find that cleaners with attached blades quite good as its able to apply an even pressure on the glass.

I've had bad experience with hand held metal blades. Think there could be a risk of applying apply too much force, leading to scratches. Just need to be careful.

Edited by SubzeroLT

• SRC Supporter

P1311303.jpg

This is another one I used since my freshwater tank days. Not able to apply much pressure on the glass to clean it effectively. OK for brown diatoms but ineffective for green algae.

• SRC Supporter

I am using this 3M dish washing netting with my magnet glass cleaner. Very effective and doesn't skretch my acrylic.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/src538/diy-upgrade-magnet-glass-cleaner-5-00/962650eeac69a7af013f5b654b1c3b27.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Choosing the correct cleaning product for your internal glass is important.

Heartbreak when your new tank  is having scratches  like mine. :(

Changed to a Tunze Care Magnet and happy as of now.

Looking forward to try others from review here.

Thanks

I am also using the flipper cleaner as its thin profile can clean some of the tighter spots easily. For cleaning nearer to the sand area, just need to flip and use the blades to clear the algae. No regrets using this glass cleaner.

• Like 1

Tank: 3.5ft x 2ft x 1.5ft, 12mm

Sump: 3ft

Skimmer: Bubble Magus Curve 7

Lightings: Maxspect 15000k

Return Pump: Eheim 1252

Wavemaker: Jebao WP25, Jebao RW-8

• 2 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

I'm using filter floss to pull out hair algae..

As for coralline on glass, I find that satay sticks are very effective, just the right strength to scrape & won't scratch your glass, but must be patience as the surface area of the stick is very very small

• SRC Supporter

The magnetic glass cleaners with the metal blades are super effective for removing coralline. Must try :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• SRC Member

Ok thanks, one day I'll try :)

btw anyone using this? It's very useful for those deeper harder to reach spots where now I have to submerge my hands in the tank 

image.jpeg