Rainford / Hector Goby Diet

Been hearing quite a bit on how some Rainfordi owners are having trouble feeding them.

Some of whom may be interested to read this thread from Reefs.org and this from RC.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry Siegel mentioned that "unless they eat a quality flake food; eating algae in captivity doesn't appear to do the trick".

Greg Schiemer commented that "they do eat filamentous algae and sift detritus for organic particles. They are deliberate eaters and often don't get enough food in a community tank. Terry is correct about the flake food. If you can get enough of a quality spirulina flake food to them, then they have a chance."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

If it helps, I feed mine LIVE Adult Brine shrimps enriched with phyto and SELCO. They will also strike at frozen now and then, not much, but at least something.

I find it difficult to fatten them up, but it hasn't any trouble keeping up its energy and the Rainfordi even chases the Hectori around a bit.

This was a quick search, I'm sure there are more information out there. Contributions are welcome.

IMO, they require alot more live food. Provide food like copepod would be the best. New tanks will not have enough of these kind of food to support them. Keeping them in a refugium help.

They are basically sand seiver or that is what I have observed during my dives.

The Prof. has spoken, live food is still the best.

If you watch the video, you'll see the nice and fat Rainfordi eating frozen.

There was a suggestion to try Nori, inferring from the observation that Hair Algae feeders are also known to take to Nori.

Perhaps someone can try and comment.

• SRC Member
The Prof. has spoken, live food is still the best.

If you watch the video, you'll see the nice and fat Rainfordi eating frozen.

There was a suggestion to try Nori, inferring from the observation that Hair Algae feeders are also known to take to Nori.

Perhaps someone can try and comment.

i'll try nori tonite.. n post the results here ;)

• SRC Member

anyway i too bought the last two pieces of hector's gobies from PR. edmin told me to feed them with brine shrimps.. i think live is still the best..just treat them as seahorses and start feeding them..shall keep you people up to date of my fishes.. :lol:

• SRC Member

anyway people, these gobies prefer fast or slow waters? cos when i switch my powerhead on, they all seem to stick to one corner of the tank.. abit erm.. scared of being washed away right? :pinch::lol:

sorry Rumor to hijack this thread... :rolleyes:

• 5 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

WTH!

pardon for my prude words.. wah! eat cyano! lolx..

anyway i just noticed that my red headed goby started taking frozen brine shrimps le!! YEAH! will monitor if it will take it again tomorrow when i feed it... keep you people up to date.. :lol::thanks::off:

WTH!

pardon for my prude words.. wah! eat cyano! lolx..

anyway i just noticed that my red headed goby started taking frozen brine shrimps le!! YEAH! will monitor if it will take it again tomorrow when i feed it... keep you people up to date.. :lol::thanks::off:

That is what i saw... Seen them eat for a few times liao... Dunno if good for them anot... seem to me that hector are more easlier to keep than rainford...

Member of:

post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp