Complete Newbie require help with Tank Equipment

Hi there.

As the title suggest, am completely new to the reef aquarium.

Have been reading for close to a week now and the amount of information to digest is exhausting. Coupled with efforts on grasping marine chemistry and the plethora of equipment, I’ve been flitting back and forth multiple times over similar topics/issues with no conclusions.

Have finally decided on seeking help here and am most grateful of any senior reefer’s advice.

Putting micro matters aside, I would like to enquire on the hard elements of setting up the aquarium first.

1)

I am looking to get a 4x2x2 feet (12mm THK) aquarium and was wondering if a 3x2x2 feet sump will be appropriate for it?

Sump will host the general such as filter socks, protein skimmer, refugium, calcium reactor (I suppose this is important as I am heading towards a mixed reef tank), return pump.

2)

Since the tank is going into my bedroom, I am really particular about the noise level. (eg, water draining into overflow box, crashing down into sump & noise from skimmer)
Any reefer able to recommend a suitable skimmer that is generally on the quieter end?
P.S Sump will be housed in a cabinet.

Also, I’ve been seeing durso and beam animal popping up whenever I research on overflow.
Are there any huge differences between the two? Is one better than the other or are there no significant differences?

1 tank maker I went to informed me of a huge area required should I opt for beam animal as 3 pipes are involved. As such they always create an external overflow box.
Upon goggling, I found out that external overflow box actually hangs at the back of the tank and this looks pretty unsightly. In addition, I have constraints adding more width to my tank.

Is there really no way for an internal overflow box to utilize the beam animal method? Does this apply to durso as well?

_

Currently, I am thinking of getting :

1) Tank : 4x2x2, 3 sides crystal glass 12mm THK (432L / 114G )

2) Sump : 3x2x2 (Will this be able to take the vol. of water in the tank in the event of a power cut?)

3) Protein Skimmer : Budget (300-500)
Seen many reefers here documenting their reefing journey with Skimz. Any good quality skimmer on the quieter end would be ideal. Need not necessarily be 0db. Maybe that of a library would be good? :P Ofc if you feel a certain skimmer you’re using which is on the higher end is good, please do not hesitate and recommend. 

4) Wavemaker : VorTech MP 10 QuietDrive, Flow: 200 – 1500G
Do I require 2 of this or should I go for 1 VorTech MP 40 and tune it down?
 (I've seen the MP10 creating a soft drumming kind of noise and am rather concern. Any reefer able to provide their experience with this will be great)

Im an Architecture student, hence any noise can be detrimental to my process of thought when working, as my table will be situated against the cabinet of the tank. 
:P

5) Lighting : Kessil A360W Tuna Blue x2 (up to 60cm surface diameter/individual)

6) RO/DI Purifier : ZeRO EX 5 –RO/DI ultra 200 (757LPD) with float from Madpetz
Any other recommendations is highly appreciated. (No specific preference with this except that it states that it’s a 5 stage process producing 0tds.

That’s about it.
Others such as the live sand, dead rock (assume cycling the tank this way, albeit longer will ease the pain of removing the pests from live rock? Correct me if im wrong) and dosing of live bacteria is pretty simple.

Im looking at getting the tank manufactured and set up as of now therefore not focusing on marine chemistry at the moment.
Will continue my research while tank is manufacturing and all the hard elements are settled.

Thanks all for taking the time to read my grandfather’s post.

Look forward to all your replies ! :yeah:

• SRC Member

I'll comment on your equipment list. As for skimmer, you may want to consider Deltec, they are rather quiet, especially the versions with DC pumps and are of very good quality. Secondly, a mp10 wouldn't hold onto a 12mm tank, you are better off with 2 mp40 instead of 1 as your tank is rather big.

• SRC Supporter
37 minutes ago, DuckMagic said:

Hi there.

As the title suggest, am completely new to the reef aquarium.

Have been reading for close to a week now and the amount of information to digest is exhausting. Coupled with efforts on grasping marine chemistry and the plethora of equipment, I’ve been flitting back and forth multiple times over similar topics/issues with no conclusions.

Have finally decided on seeking help here and am most grateful of any senior reefer’s advice.

Putting micro matters aside, I would like to enquire on the hard elements of setting up the aquarium first.

1)

I am looking to get a 4x2x2 feet (12mm THK) aquarium and was wondering if a 3x2x2 feet sump will be appropriate for it?

Sump will host the general such as filter socks, protein skimmer, refugium, calcium reactor (I suppose this is important as I am heading towards a mixed reef tank), return pump.

- 3x2x2 sump most likely will not fill into the cabinet , it need to be slightly smaller in order to fill in. Try talking to your tank maker and he will be able to advise you better. I would suggest not to use filter sock alone as mechnical filter as filter sock tends to chock very fast , the traditional filter tower with filter mesh still is the best i personally feel. Calcium reactor might not be necessary for a start since you are running a mixed reef, but if budget permit why not ? lol

2)

Since the tank is going into my bedroom, I am really particular about the noise level. (eg, water draining into overflow box, crashing down into sump & noise from skimmer)
Any reefer able to recommend a suitable skimmer that is generally on the quieter end?
P.S Sump will be housed in a cabinet.

Also, I’ve been seeing durso and beam animal popping up whenever I research on overflow.
Are there any huge differences between the two? Is one better than the other or are there no significant differences?

- Bean animal usually consist of alot of piping work which also mean you need a largest overflow section in order to cater for it, which is why the Bean animal is not so popular , but there is way to have a " modified " version of durso /bean animal with a use of a gate valve to control the water flow back into the sump tank hence reduing the water noise. 

1 tank maker I went to informed me of a huge area required should I opt for beam animal as 3 pipes are involved. As such they always create an external overflow box.
Upon goggling, I found out that external overflow box actually hangs at the back of the tank and this looks pretty unsightly. In addition, I have constraints adding more width to my tank.

Is there really no way for an internal overflow box to utilize the beam animal method? Does this apply to durso as well?

- it can be done but using a modified version 

_

Currently, I am thinking of getting :

1) Tank : 4x2x2, 3 sides crystal glass 12mm THK (432L / 114G )

2) Sump : 3x2x2 (Will this be able to take the vol. of water in the tank in the event of a power cut?)

3) Protein Skimmer : Budget (300-500)
Seen many reefers here documenting their reefing journey with Skimz. Any good quality skimmer on the quieter end would be ideal. Need not necessarily be 0db. Maybe that of a library would be good? :P Ofc if you feel a certain skimmer you’re using which is on the higher end is good, please do not hesitate and recommend. 

- actually most of the modern skimmer run pretty quiet . i.e; skimz, reef octopus, ect.. if budget allow, you can consider Deltec skimmer.  

4) Wavemaker : VorTech MP 10 QuietDrive, Flow: 200 – 1500G
Do I require 2 of this or should I go for 1 VorTech MP 40 and tune it down?
 (I've seen the MP10 creating a soft drumming kind of noise and am rather concern. Any reefer able to provide their experience with this will be great)

Im an Architecture student, hence any noise can be detrimental to my process of thought when working, as my table will be situated against the cabinet of the tank. 
:P

- You would need MP 40 instead of mp 10 as mp10 is more for nano tank. The new version of Quiet drive run pretty quiet. 

5) Lighting : Kessil A360W Tuna Blue x2 (up to 60cm surface diameter/individual)

- I am not sure if this brand of led is strong enough for coral, so you might want to do more research about it. 

6) RO/DI Purifier : ZeRO EX 5 –RO/DI ultra 200 (757LPD) with float from Madpetz
Any other recommendations is highly appreciated. (No specific preference with this except that it states that it’s a 5 stage process producing 0tds.

- this is one of the most popular RO/DI unit 

• SRC Supporter

Another tips for you is to plan on all the equipment especially the skimmer and reactor that you indent to use and check on their dimension before building / designing your sump tank. The last thing that you want is a sump tank that couldn't fit your equipments into the compartment. 

32 minutes ago, josephwzr said:

I'll comment on your equipment list. As for skimmer, you may want to consider Deltec, they are rather quiet, especially the versions with DC pumps and are of very good quality. Secondly, a mp10 wouldn't hold onto a 12mm tank, you are better off with 2 mp40 instead of 1 as your tank is rather big.

Thanks ! Are you referring to all Deltec series as quiet? 

I thought a 4x2x2 is actually pretty small considering most people mentioned that it would be optimum for tangs to min. be in a 5feet long tank. 

9 minutes ago, he said:

Another tips for you is to plan on all the equipment especially the skimmer and reactor that you indent to use and check on their dimension before building / designing your sump tank. The last thing that you want is a sump tank that couldn't fit your equipments into the compartment. 

If i recall, a particular tank maker actually mentioned that it would be better for me to grab a 3.5x2x2 feet sump. lol 

Haha, which is why Im trying to figure out which equipment to get as nothing can be done as of now.

Referring to your initial reply, I thought I would make the effort to clean the filter socks on a daily basis. Seems like I was delusional. Crazy amount of discipline there. I'll stick with your filter towel and mesh. As for calcium reactor, is that usually placed in the same compartment as the return pump?

Noise generated from overflow
I was thinking of lowering the outflow pipe 1-2inch into the sump so that there wont be any noise generated.
Also, was thinking of filling the water in the overflow box such that it is 1-2inch below the water level received from the main tank. Do both of these methods help?

Skimmer
I may consider Skimz if budget is in my way. Will look through Deltec as well. 

Wavemaker
Is it mandatory for a tank to have flow from both sides of a tank? I was thinking of having my internal overflow box on the right, together with my wavemaker. Does this generate the kind of "pull"(overflow) , "push"(wavemaker) scenario within the tank? 

Lighting
I've seen FnM using such lighting for their corals as well and how other LFS overseas using for their corals as well. 
Reviews are good. Anyway, point taken. Will read up more 
:cry2:

RODI
Alright thanks! Will stick with this!

Thanks ! At least, I got the skimmer, wavemaker and RODI unit somewhat settled :D

• SRC Supporter
28 minutes ago, DuckMagic said:

If i recall, a particular tank maker actually mentioned that it would be better for me to grab a 3.5x2x2 feet sump. lol 

Haha, which is why Im trying to figure out which equipment to get as nothing can be done as of now.

Referring to your initial reply, I thought I would make the effort to clean the filter socks on a daily basis. Seems like I was delusional. Crazy amount of discipline there. I'll stick with your filter towel and mesh. As for calcium reactor, is that usually placed in the same compartment as the return pump?

Noise generated from overflow
I was thinking of lowering the outflow pipe 1-2inch into the sump so that there wont be any noise generated.
Also, was thinking of filling the water in the overflow box such that it is 1-2inch below the water level received from the main tank. Do both of these methods help?

Skimmer
I may consider Skimz if budget is in my way. Will look through Deltec as well. 

Wavemaker
Is it mandatory for a tank to have flow from both sides of a tank? I was thinking of having my internal overflow box on the right, together with my wavemaker. Does this generate the kind of "pull"(overflow) , "push"(wavemaker) scenario within the tank? 

Lighting
I've seen FnM using such lighting for their corals as well and how other LFS overseas using for their corals as well. 
Reviews are good. Anyway, point taken. Will read up more 
:cry2:

RODI
Alright thanks! Will stick with this!

Thanks ! At least, I got the skimmer, wavemaker and RODI unit somewhat settled :D

Not saying that Kessil led is not good, and in fact i saw it once and really like the shimming effect the led produce. But i just suggest that you look around for a few more option to compare as it is very expensive to upgrade the equipment later on . 

The noise from the tank usually come from the water when it mixes with air during the overflow to the sump tank . Having a bigger overflow pipe will helps , but still in order to reduce or eliminate the noise you need to have a method / wayto control the Air/water mixture when the water fall into your sump. 

It is not necessary to have wave maker from both side of the tank, but ideally is good to have for better water circulation in the tank. Yes, you can start with one wave maker and use your return pump outlet as the water outlet at the other end. If you feel is not enough, you can add on if needed later on. If you keep SPS, the coral would require more random wave rather than a " fix " flow in order for them to do well. 

Hope the above helps .. Happy reefing !

• SRC Supporter

Overflow - IMO, either Herbie, Durso or Bean Animal are quite similar. There are subtle differences & safety factors. 

Having the  water level just below the weir will reduce water sound in the overflow. Any system that has a siphon drain running will be able to pull a lot of water effectively. As you say, draining it under water in the sump will help reduce the splashing sound. 

Calcium Reactor - Yours is a large tank & likely to use an external calcium reactor.

Wavemaker - I agree, MP40 is nice. You can consider adding on the ReefLink module for added features like feed mode & different profiles/power along the day. This also helps randomize flow.

RODI - You may need to get a booster pump to maximize the output of the RODI unit. 

Which return pump are you getting?

Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/mysliceofnature/

Not saying that Kessil led is not good, and in fact i saw it once and really like the shimming effect the led produce. But i just suggest that you look around for a few more option to compare as it is very expensive to upgrade the equipment later on . 

The noise from the tank usually come from the water when it mixes with air during the overflow to the sump tank . Having a bigger overflow pipe will helps , but still in order to reduce or eliminate the noise you need to have a method / wayto control the Air/water mixture when the water fall into your sump. 

It is not necessary to have wave maker from both side of the tank, but ideally is good to have for better water circulation in the tank. Yes, you can start with one wave maker and use your return pump outlet as the water outlet at the other end. If you feel is not enough, you can add on if needed later on. If you keep SPS, the coral would require more random wave rather than a " fix " flow in order for them to do well. 

Hope the above helps .. Happy reefing !

Yeah! The shimmer effect along with the easy tuning of the blue/white lights is what captured my attention. Really in love with those. Feels like it's made for newbies cause it's so easy to manage than manually adjusting/setting the timer and no. of blue/white lights in a typical lighting system.

I get what you mean, I'll probably head down soon and speak to someone from Iwarna to do my tank, sump & piping. Have already went ahead and gotten the quotations from them. Too eager to start

Thanks!

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

1) If you want a quieter overflow i believe both durso and beam animal can do the work for you but if you want to have external overflow then suggested to get beam animal with a controlled valve to control the level of the water from your dt ==> sump to reduce the water splash. If going for internal overflow then suggested to go for durso ! Some reefer will want their overflow to be external because they will want to make use of what they have in the tank to scape. If you worried the external will take up alot of space then put it at the side is also possible then your external calcium reactor (beside your cabinet) below it.

2) For skimmer, if you have a bigger budget can go for deltec because of the powerful and quiet pump otherwise a skimz skimmer is more than enough.

3) Wavemaker. For your case if you want to use vortech wavermaker (2x mp40) products then suggested to use a lighting and return pump that a reeflink can control so in future you can just use a reeflink to control everything in your tank. If you're on tight budget i can recommend you to use 2x gyre 150 placed at both side. It have alot of different modes but problem is some reefer have bad experience of it because overall it's a china brand and it spoils faster than germany, us products. For me it's still working fine after 1.5years but power of the wavemaker did reduce after long usage.

4) Lighting wise alot of reefer do have success tank with T5. Maybe you can get that if you don't mind changing tubes every 6-8 months. Otherwise can go for hydra 52 Hd. I don't believe 2x A360W is enough for your tank. Best if you can get a T5 and mount 2x A360W at the side! Hahaha. The Light PAR sure swee swee one for SPS.

5) No experience with RO/DI purifier but I'm using the industrial filter. AA and madpetz is selling maybe you can approach them to know more.

I suggest not to put your calcium reactor in your sump. Try to make use the space in your sump like put more media or since you want to set up a refugium it requires a large area to be effective. Have to plan properly on your sump because it's the heart of your system. There are alot of different sump design so suggest you to look around and see what you really want before customise it. Otherwise just take note what you want to use to chill your tank. Either coil or chiller. Suggested to put coil (if possible)for such a big tank otherwise Hs90A can do the job well ! Good luck !

Overflow - IMO, either Herbie, Durso or Bean Animal are quite similar. There are subtle differences & safety factors. 

Having the  water level just below the weir will reduce water sound in the overflow. Any system that has a siphon drain running will be able to pull a lot of water effectively. As you say, draining it under water in the sump will help reduce the splashing sound. 

Calcium Reactor - Yours is a large tank & likely to use an external calcium reactor.

Wavemaker - I agree, MP40 is nice. You can consider adding on the ReefLink module for added features like feed mode & different profiles/power along the day. This also helps randomize flow.

RODI - You may need to get a booster pump to maximize the output of the RODI unit. 

Which return pump are you getting?

Hopefully Iwarna is able to come up with something to solve both the noise and space constraints. Else, I may have to give up the hobby entirely

Would scaling down to 4x1.5x2 (LxBxH)

allow for the calcium reactor to be place inside the sump? Kinda prefer a neat organisation of eq. (Dumping everything into sump, lol)

Yup, have read about the booster pump. Totally no clue how to fix or use it. Will have to watch videos of people operating it.

Lol! Totally forgot about the return pump. Too many things to be concern with. Thanks for the heads up!

I think U miss out a important equipment.... Chiller.  

Haha yeah, thanks man!

Sense all the judging from experienced reefers that I'll have a rocky path up ahead. missing out on so many crucial Eq.

1) If you want a quieter overflow i believe both durso and beam animal can do the work for you but if you want to have external overflow then suggested to get beam animal with a controlled valve to control the level of the water from your dt ==> sump to reduce the water splash. If going for internal overflow then suggested to go for durso ! Some reefer will want their overflow to be external because they will want to make use of what they have in the tank to scape. If you worried the external will take up alot of space then put it at the side is also possible then your external calcium reactor (beside your cabinet) below it.

2) For skimmer, if you have a bigger budget can go for deltec because of the powerful and quiet pump otherwise a skimz skimmer is more than enough.

3) Wavemaker. For your case if you want to use vortech wavermaker (2x mp40) products then suggested to use a lighting and return pump that a reeflink can control so in future you can just use a reeflink to control everything in your tank. If you're on tight budget i can recommend you to use 2x gyre 150 placed at both side. It have alot of different modes but problem is some reefer have bad experience of it because overall it's a china brand and it spoils faster than germany, us products. For me it's still working fine after 1.5years but power of the wavemaker did reduce after long usage.

4) Lighting wise alot of reefer do have success tank with T5. Maybe you can get that if you don't mind changing tubes every 6-8 months. Otherwise can go for hydra 52 Hd. I don't believe 2x A360W is enough for your tank. Best if you can get a T5 and mount 2x A360W at the side! Hahaha. The Light PAR sure swee swee one for SPS.

5) No experience with RO/DI purifier but I'm using the industrial filter. AA and madpetz is selling maybe you can approach them to know more.

I suggest not to put your calcium reactor in your sump. Try to make use the space in your sump like put more media or since you want to set up a refugium it requires a large area to be effective. Have to plan properly on your sump because it's the heart of your system. There are alot of different sump design so suggest you to look around and see what you really want before customise it. Otherwise just take note what you want to use to chill your tank. Either coil or chiller. Suggested to put coil (if possible)for such a big tank otherwise Hs90A can do the job well ! Good luck !

Wah bro! Thanks for the detailed explanation so early in the morning. Assuming cuz midweek so naturally more awake in the morning? Haha

As an Archi student, Im all about the aesthetics. Haha, having an external overflow box creates this negative space at the back and prevents me from having the tank against the wall. That's why I'm considering doing internal even tho it risks taking up space. Same goes for the calcium reactor at the side of the tank. Haha. Will try and work my way around. Maybe I'll get a box to hide it.

Sorry what's dt? Still new with all the abbreviations.

Alright, will do a rough sketch of the sump and seek advice w Iwarna.

Noted on the chiller and coil! This is really an expensive hobby man. Im pretty sure everything here sums up to nearly 5k.

• Like 1

Wah bro! Thanks for the detailed explanation so early in the morning. Assuming cuz midweek so naturally more awake in the morning? Haha

As an Archi student, Im all about the aesthetics. Haha, having an external overflow box creates this negative space at the back and prevents me from having the tank against the wall. That's why I'm considering doing internal even tho it risks taking up space. Same goes for the calcium reactor at the side of the tank. Haha. Will try and work my way around. Maybe I'll get a box to hide it.

Noted on the chiller and coil! This is really an expensive hobby man. Im pretty sure everything here sums up to nearly 5k.

Haha. Good Morning ! Yeah in this hobby you mist be willing to spend. Dt is Display tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you would like to hide some of the equipment, I would definitely suggest a hood. In this way, your wires will also be hidden within the hood. That will save you some headache when your wavemakers and lights' wiring become your aesthetic eyesore.

Also, the question about the size of the sump to hold the water volume during an outbreak. It very much also depends on your return pump. Generally, the higher capacity your pump is, the water height will be slightly higher than usual, as it takes more 'time' for the water to overflow. Also, the height of the overflow pipe in your overflow compartment. Also, the sump compartment height. If during normal operation, the water level is lower at 10", chances are, your remaining 22" of your 2 feet sump will be more than enough to hold the excess water.

However, I would really advise against a 322 sump. You definitely need more width to fit the sump, you don't want the sump to flush with your DT. Also, you won't want a 2 feet tall sump. Maintenance is gonna be tough, plus that means your cabinet need to be even higher to fit the skimmers and reactors in.

Lastly, 4 x 1.5 x 2 might not be that suitable. 1.5 ft might not be able to fit many rocks / corals. A shallow tank might be a better choice. 4 x 2 x 1.5. if its about the overflow compartment, I would then suggest a 3.5 x 2 x 2, with the overflow on the side, perhaps, hidden in a cabinet or hood.

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

If you would like to hide some of the equipment, I would definitely suggest a hood. In this way, your wires will also be hidden within the hood. That will save you some headache when your wavemakers and lights' wiring become your aesthetic eyesore.

Also, the question about the size of the sump to hold the water volume during an outbreak. It very much also depends on your return pump. Generally, the higher capacity your pump is, the water height will be slightly higher than usual, as it takes more 'time' for the water to overflow. Also, the height of the overflow pipe in your overflow compartment. Also, the sump compartment height. If during normal operation, the water level is lower at 10", chances are, your remaining 22" of your 2 feet sump will be more than enough to hold the excess water.

However, I would really advise against a 322 sump. You definitely need more width to fit the sump, you don't want the sump to flush with your DT. Also, you won't want a 2 feet tall sump. Maintenance is gonna be tough, plus that means your cabinet need to be even higher to fit the skimmers and reactors in.

Lastly, 4 x 1.5 x 2 might not be that suitable. 1.5 ft might not be able to fit many rocks / corals. A shallow tank might be a better choice. 4 x 2 x 1.5. if its about the overflow compartment, I would then suggest a 3.5 x 2 x 2, with the overflow on the side, perhaps, hidden in a cabinet or hood.

1) I was thinking of having the internal overflow box at the back corner instead of the side since viewing is always done frontal and a wider area of viewing would come across as more pleasing.

2) I've seen so many designs that has an open top, giving off a less rigid more fluid appearance. I kinda like looking at the ripple of crystal clear water on the surface of the tank. Feels like I'm in Bali or Maldives. Haha

3) Thanks, what do you think about the Tunze 1073? Not sure if that is the product name.

Pump output : 200-2400 l/hr

Tank volume : 432l

5x overturn : 432 x 5 = 2160 l

Seems good ? Still below maximum range.

307f877a66202e7a0ac21c8562ec8018.jpg

Durso will not be super quiet. Consider Herbie or Bean animal if you want a really silent overflow.

Bro, are you able to compare durso overflow to the sound of an object? It would help my decision making.

At the back corner works too. Is it going to be a one side view or 3 sides? Of cuz u will have to sacrifice a bit of space within e tank.

If u enjoy looking at the ripple, I would definitely suggest a shallow tank, but wider width so u have abit more space for corals

Never used that pump before. Maybe other reefers can share their reviews on e tunze 1073

Follow Alex's Reefing Journey @ 

Anyone has any inputs on the color

of lights?

Many has different pov.

Does corals require more of the blue than white or is it the other way round?

And how are you guys adjusting your colors? Is it 40%W, 60%B ?

I've seen some people saying they do 40%W and 100%B over a 9hr cycle.

Is this a hint that they are running 2 different light sets? 1 light running full blue and the other only using white.

At the back corner works too. Is it going to be a one side view or 3 sides? Of cuz u will have to sacrifice a bit of space within e tank.

If u enjoy looking at the ripple, I would definitely suggest a shallow tank, but wider width so u have abit more space for corals

Never used that pump before. Maybe other reefers can share their reviews on e tunze 1073

It is going to be a 3 side view. Am going ahead with crystal glass for 3 of the sides.

Is there a limit to posting/day here? Couldn't seem to reply yesterday.

Shallow reef sounds good. May consider. Potentially lesser issues with PAR values?