Any comments on Marc Weiss products?

Mostly crap from feedback... I was convinced so hard by a LFS to try it... and I did.... nothing happened... maybe I need to buy like 20 bottles coz my tank so big? :)

• SRC Member

One word, 'HYPE!' Nothing more.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

Pls Try Combisan which was developed by Peter Wikens Which have full spectrum marine supplement.! It really promotes the development of pink calcareous alage and it also promotes tessue repair in fish and brilliant coloration in photosynthetic corals. Etc

• SRC Member
Pls Try Combisan which was developed by Peter Wikens Which have full spectrum marine supplement.! It really promotes the development of pink calcareous alage and it also promotes tessue repair in fish and brilliant coloration in photosynthetic corals. Etc

So, where can we get this product in Singapore and how much will it cost? This is supplement I believe and not food, right?

• SRC Member

Analysis of Combisan

Take a look at the data and decide yourself if it is any good.

Also related, Marine Snow.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif

LOL!... Combisan... yet another joke... guys... the additives from US usually are a joke... you can probably trust the German stuff more. Marc Weiss is such a rip off... they don't even list the ingredients they use and in such a big bottle is such a small pack!

I hope I can dig out the lab analysis done by Ron Shimek on the many bottled coral foods available... Tanzy... do you have the link?

Hmmm that page layout has gotten really screwed up... the most important paragraph is hidden behind the table!

Anyway.... straight from the horse's mouth:

-----------------

Mornin' Folks,

Gotta' luv em....

To jump the gun a bit. Neither product has much in it, all tested foods have more of the same materials in them by factors ranging from 10 to 10,000 than do these products. So by feeding your aquarium you can get a lot more of the same stuff - in a form that is likely more utilizable by any organism in the tank.

Surprisingly, the third addivite - the much maligned Coral Vital - has significant food value. About the same as frozen brine shrimp as a matter of fact. This says nothing about its claims as a "miracle product." However, in nutrient poor systems it could provide significant caloric and protein nutrition. Neither Combisan nor marine snow are likely to do that as they lack both calories or protein.

In my opinion, these are great additives. You can add gallons of them to a tank without hurting the tank, other than changing the salinity. Obviously, compared to such additives as Lugol's solution and Kalkwasser, they are benign.

When you add something to your tank, all other things being equal, three responses may occur.

Response one: No noticeable change.

Response two: Improvement

Response three: Degredation.

If you observe your system, and then observe it later you may notice the same changes - due simply to random chance. If all things are equal then, one expects improvement after an additive - by RANDOM CHANCE ALONE - one third of the time.

So... all neutral additive will cause in increase simply do to randomness on the order of one time in three...

I suggested to Julian that he have his products tested by an independent testing facility. This suggestion was met by stoney silence......

'Till later....

Ron

----------------------------

Took this off a thread:

----------------------------

Well, I gave the report Dr. Shimek did a good look. From what I can tell, TLF's response to this study seemed to be panic induced. I now can see why. There isn't anything in Marine Snow. Calcium is well below seawater, as is magnesium. The main elements present are phosphorus, potassium (both plant fertilizers) and some iodide and sulfur. So where's the beef? What do the filter feeders eat from this stuff? To be fair, the other additives tested, Combisan and Coral Vital, also lack nutrients. They all have elements necessary for plants - phosphorus, pottasium, iron, sulfur. But they are not sold as plant fertilizers. Anyone using these products that doesn't have nusiance algae? Better still, anyone with freshwater planted aquariums use these? Seems they might be quite good for that. Well, at any rate. This debate is going to be interesting. I think hobbyists will benefit in the end.

Dan

-------------------------

Achilles Tang, I DO NOT SELL ANY PRODUCT TO ANYONE!!!! IT SOLEY FOR MY OWN REEF TANK.BUT STRANGELY, IT REALLY WORKS FOR MY REEF SYSTEM AND TO MY FEW FRIEND'S SYSTEM.

IT MAY WORKS FOR SOME BUT SOMETIMES IT MAY NOT FOR OTHERS. I'M NOT ASKING ANYBODY TO FOLLOW, IT JUST MATTER OF TRYING THAT IT REALLY WORKS FOR ME. IT JUST HEALTH PRODUCTS, IT WORKS FOR SOME AND IT MAY NOT TO SOME!!!

Achilles Tang, I DO NOT SELL ANY PRODUCT TO ANYONE!!!! IT SOLEY FOR MY OWN REEF TANK.BUT STRANGELY, IT REALLY WORKS FOR MY REEF SYSTEM AND TO MY FEW FRIEND'S SYSTEM.

IT MAY WORKS FOR SOME BUT  SOMETIMES IT MAY NOT FOR OTHERS. I'M NOT ASKING ANYBODY TO FOLLOW, IT JUST MATTER OF TRYING THAT IT REALLY WORKS FOR ME. IT JUST HEALTH PRODUCTS, IT WORKS FOR SOME AND IT MAY NOT TO SOME!!!

Hi ARI,

I was actually asking about Marc Weiss's products. Appreciate your comments. :thanks:.

Haven't heard of Combisan though, perhaps its not widely distributed.

Anyway, I feel that AT made a fair comment. Knowledge sharing is what drives the forum and keep people coming back, so we (members + moderator) try to keep our opinions(posts) impartial.

Don't take it to heart and take it easy ya? :)

ARI...

You did not reply to my PM and sorry that I have to ask you this here...

a search on the all the few posts you made... you were clearly only talking abt the benefits of a few products and also advertised that anyone wants good and cheap products to look for you.

If you intend to benefit commercially from this forum, I hope you will at least be a supporter/advertiser/sponsor to this club like eAquanature. If you are not a LFS/Distributor in disguise... and have not such intent... perhaps I hope we can benefit from your 20 years of hobby experience by more constructive contributions?

AT

Hi, Achilles Tang, it ok with me, I do not want any benefits commercially from this forum, because I personally own a few companies in IT in S'pore & Australia . On regards of getting cheap & good products which I can get much better prices than LFS WHICH I hope to can help those who are new in this hobby.For instance like cableguy who got the tw6 teco chiller through my contact was an good example.As for Each time I order some marine Supplement products & equipments, It will go via my own company's Account & Freight Services That why i may able get good price .But of course, I will only help for those who really need it who have spending limitation.Pls do not misunderstood my kind intention.All I want is to help to better understanding of this hobby.Because I personally witness a few of my few reefers were slaughter by LFS. Btw By having your great sgreefclub forum was a great idea. Initially, Desmond ( pacific Marine boss) and I wanted to start a marine club for reefers but because of my business committments i was unable to do it .Then came your reefclub.It was a brilliant idea Achilles!! For this i give thumps up for that! Hopefully by having his topic, reefers can encourage more people to go in this wonderful hobby.

Hi ARI,

Ok... good for you that you own a few IT companies... any job offers for me? ;)

I have posted a new policy on SRC here. concerning those who do intend to push their services, products or 'lobangs'.

This forum is a double edged sword like all forms of public communication... the good, the bad & the ugly cannot hide. People, businesses, products may get praised one day and get bad comments the next. And people WILL have their own opinions and have to judge for themselves what is the truth, what's falsehood, what's good and what's not so good.

It is a good idea therefore to promote stuff which actually work as we know that there are a lot of 'snake oil' products in the market. That personally to me is something I will not encourage people to buy out of ignorance as I have paid enough 'tuition fees' already when I was new to the hobby.

I have rather good lobangs myself which I have helped those who need it. :angel: but as of now... we have a new policy.

So since this is clear, we do look forward to input and contributions from you! :)

Any pix of your reef tank? 20 years is a very very long time... and makes for a very established and matured reef tank... do you face 'old tank syndromes'.

Perhaps you can start a new thread coz we are :off:

Sorry guys!

AT

• SRC Member

Hi,

regarding the TLF products, I can only say that one needs to use their product before they can condemn a product! The anlysis is just a report of its content but didn't say that it is useless. Reports might say that most of it is just H2O, but if one see gd result after using it, they should continue using them. If not, just stop. no harm trying.

This issue is ard 1-2yr liao. No pt arguing the good & bad. Just do a poll for those who use them before to vote. That simple.

This way can also reduce conflict.

Regarding the selling online, lobang, etc. Well, to me lobang means, that guy offer u the best price u can find & doesn't make any profit as a middleman during the transaction. At least, that how i interpret it.

Wei :lol:

Ah wei,

Beg to differ... but if there is an overwhelming feedback from people who have used such products AND scientific proof on the contents of dubious products... why should we not heed their warnings and instead spend money to proof a point/make a judgement/share facts with newbies who could be better advised by those more experienced/well-informed?

How much money will you encourage fellow reefers to spend on misinformation and false advertising?

I like to share a saying:

Learn from the mistakes of others.

You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Age doesn't always bring wisdom. Sometimes age comes alone.

Bro, I respect your opinions but this I cannot understand. :unsure:

Dun worry... there will never be a conflict amongst sharing... only a conflict of interests. :ph34r:

• SRC Member

The significance of the analysis on Combisan is not whether it works or not, but rather that TLF is not being honest. The claims TLF make do not reflect itself in the composition of the product. In a harsh way, TLF is a con.

After looking at the analysis, the educated reefer can come to the conclusion that if adding Combisan works, then so will adding tap water. There's hardly anything at significant level in it.

If because using that product and good result is associated with it, then applying the same logic, I can also say the product doesn't work because I see many beautiful tanks which don't use that product. We are not trying to make the world a better place here but I know for sure I am trying to save other people's money by not recommending them products that are useless.

A poll? Do we have a large enough sample (>30) of Combisan users here? Good results? Too subjective.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

• SRC Member

haha, i also want to know the result. I myself didn't use any TLF stuff before so i will not comment on if it is really junk anot. What we need is more feedback. 2 or 3 response also gd. At least a better picture of things. :eyeblur:

Wat i know, underwater world is using marine snow. They order cartons of marine snow regularly. One of the biologist recommended it. I think we should go tell them to stop wasting money and setup more tank. :yeah:

what i want to get out of this thread is TLF product users feedback, thats all. Simple!

Wei :evil: