Meterial for PL lighting....

tigershark

• SRC Member

i went to this shop Sinter, very good place to get all the e-ballast and PL tubes you ever need!!! it's a shop that sell only light stuffs!!!!

ECBM, i think the OSRAM 55watt tube should be 6500K, am i right?

one more interesting thing i found out, just a few shops away #03-07/08, there is a electronic shop, they also got 60Watt e-ballast Clipsep (wrong spelling i think) at $15.80 only!!!! one thing strange is tht this price is super cheap but the stock seems to be there forever! I been there a few times, they are still there.

i didn't buy any e-ballast or PL tube as i don't have time to do major upgrade now, only bought some connects and wire.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• SRC Member

Bluebeard,

They dun have 10,000k tube! you can try Marine Life Hobbielist at Hong Leong Garden Shopping Centre they have 55wattPL-L Aqualux 10,000K and also the 55watt PL-L Agualux Blue tube too at $35 each I think.

• SRC Member

hey thanks ECBM!

Phang have lobang for 55wattPL-L Aqualux 10,000K at $30 at Sims Drive.

Do Marine Life have 50/50 55watt PL-L Aqualux tube??? or maybe 18watt one i also can.

right now i'm using a 36 watt 50/50 and a 18watt 6500k, so one side of the tank look yellow yellow.

• SRC Member
hey thanks ECBM!

Phang have lobang for 55wattPL-L Aqualux 10,000K at $30 at Sims Drive.

Do Marine Life have 50/50 55watt PL-L Aqualux tube??? or maybe 18watt one i also can.

right now i'm using a 36 watt 50/50 and a 18watt 6500k, so one side of the tank look yellow yellow.

Hey Guys,

Tell you what,

I will call up the LFS... see if they got all the stock you are looking for... I think they have 18W 50/50 and also 13000k bulbs....

Maybe if I could get all the requirements... then can place order for more... maybe cheaper.........

And we can all get together and start this PL DIY thing..... ;)

• 3 weeks later...
  • SRC Member

Hi

I juz got from Nature.

2 x 18W PL 6500K AEC brand

1 e-ballast to drive the above.

I am going to retrofit my current 1 foot light for the above.

My questions are:

(a) I need the change the reflector because my current light is a single tube. I want to put the 2 PL inside. Where can I find good, cheap reflectors?

(B) Should I put the e-ballast inside or outside? Putting inside would be best because there will be 8 wires running outside if it is outside.

But space and heat is also a concern. Any pros and cons?

© Where can I find 18W 50/50 and how much they cost?

Thanks! :D

• SRC Member
Hi

I juz got from Nature.

2 x 18W PL 6500K AEC brand

1 e-ballast to drive the above.

I am going to retrofit my current 1 foot light for the above.

My questions are:

(a) I need the change the reflector because my current light is a single tube. I want to put the 2 PL inside. Where can I find good, cheap reflectors?

(B) Should I put the e-ballast inside or outside? Putting inside would be best because there will be 8 wires running outside if it is outside.

But space and heat is also a concern. Any pros and cons?

© Where can I find 18W 50/50 and how much they cost?

Thanks! :D

hey why use those 6500AEC PL? i also got one, it makes my tank looks brown and yellow.

can your light hood want 2 PL tubes since currently it's only a single tube?

actually me also source for cheap reflectors but come up with a few solution,

1) buy a big housing reflector (get from Kelantan Lane) have to cut as it's big and standard size

2) use reflective paper but the paper very thin

3) use reflective sticker, the price of the sticker seems to be quite expensive. (anyone know the price?)

4) use reflective spray paint! ($9.50 a can) but don't know can trust the can or not).

anyone got more solution?

if you have the space, best of course is put the e-ballast inside, for 2x18watt e-ballast, the heat should be quite ok la.

if you put outside also can but have to be careful, best is find a box to hand the e-ballast. such box can find at sim lim tower.

i have found 18watt 50/50 JBL at 2 places, joo chiat Mr. Fish ($19.80 i think), the other is Rainbow, more than $20, cannot remember the place.

2 more places that don't have but maybe can order is Nature since they got the 36watt 50/50 JBL, and Marine Life at Hong Leong.

i have asked Petmart just now, they don't have.

if you found it, tell me ok? i also want to buy.

• SRC Member

thanks, bluebeard.

Will let u know if I can find the 18w 50/50.

PS: I bought some used boxes for the e-ballast at onlky S$2.

It is just big enulf for the ballast plus has ventilation vents.

Got them at 3rd floor Sim Lim Tower. Lots of hardware at SLT.

• SRC Member
thanks, bluebeard.

Will let u know if I can find the 18w 50/50.

PS: I bought some used boxes for the e-ballast at onlky S$2.

It is just big enulf for the ballast plus has ventilation vents.

Got them at 3rd floor Sim Lim Tower. Lots of hardware at SLT.

hey liverock!

i just came back from Nature, i have asked the owner to order 18w 50/50 (JBL) for me, $15. i deposit $15 with him, he will call me if there is stock, no promise will sure have stock.

and also now Nature also sell 58watt e-ballast, $25, quite cheap!

i have also asked him if he sell 55watt PL, he say he will get the stock in a few weeks time.

• SRC Member

hey liverock!

i just came back from Nature, i have asked the owner to order 18w 50/50 (JBL) for me, $15. i deposit $15 with him, he will call me if there is stock, no promise will sure have stock.

and also now Nature also sell 58watt e-ballast, $25, quite cheap!

i have also asked him if he sell 55watt PL, he say he will get the stock in a few weeks time.

just to let you guys know the 18watt 50/50 tube i order from Nature yesterday is here! just received a call from Nature.

i will go collect it on Friday or Saturday.