Fish died with mouth wide open

any brudder encountered this phenomenon of fish dying with mouth wide open and protuding?

juz added a small cup of water from main tank to q tank and the q tank fishes started to swim upside down and gasp for air within 3 hours..

all mati with mouth wide open.. :(

any personal experiences on this?

thanx in advance!

post-21-1080521224.jpg

all my anthias died this way...got something to say ... :lol:

seriously...how are your main tank fishes?? they are doing well? That's weird...what's the temp and size difference of the 2 tanks??

the 2 tanks parameters about the same except salinity.. main tank 1.022, q tank bot same water where fish was bot 1.017..

main tank anthias and chromis no problem.. dat's why added abit of main tank water to acclimatize q fish to main tank water..

can it be velvet? or juz simply due to salinity difference..?

bro deepblue.. how u manage to resolve this problem?

thanx.

• SRC Member

Long shot doubt i am right but could it be lack of oxygen? :lol:

I ever encountered this while fishing, always happen to the baitfish i keep for use as livebaits, due to poor circulation(only got airpump) quite a few won't make it and end up like what you have.

thanx man..

but should not be coz all ok in q tank.. adding a small cup of main tank water shouldn't remove all the oxygen rite?

hmm.. rite now researching into swim bladder bacteria, judging from the speed of the deaths plus their upside down swimming..

*headache... :(

hi strat,

yes i did.. other batches no such problem..

the oni change i can tink of is that i moved the q tank to a different room, so maybe temperature went up..

will move back see if can solve the problem..

thanx again.

• SRC Member

such a pity,dats a very nice anthia..all of my anthias that died,died the same way too...maybe roidan aka the anthia expert can share with us on the secret of keeping anthias successfully?either they dun eat or they hide all the time..havent seen 5 of my anthias for 3 days now..dunnoe if they are dead...if they are,i'd better prepare for a major tank crash....

can be many reasons...but probably some gill infection/disease may be the cause...if u see it panting and staying at one corner of the tank lifeless, then probably going to be a goner soon...

how to keep them well? most web resources will say good currents....oxygen saturated waters....and plenty of feeding throughout the day....