Questions on MH

• SRC Member

hi all, i am upgrading to a 3 X 1.5 X 2 ft tank...i decide to leave the DSB in my sump so maybe 3-4inches of sand in my main tank....not intending to keep SPS juz some common LPS like hammers frogspawn mushies and zoo (having 2nd thoughts now). might wanna grow a mangrove plant also, not for the N03 purpose but i think it looks cute if it extends above my hood....

so my question is, wat kind of MH should i use....

some advised 2 X 150W, B)

others say 1 X 250W, :idea:

my pocket hinted PL :whistle

and my galfren sreamed "stop your stupid marine hobby!!" :(

:lol::lol::lol:

i noticed there are 10kk bulbs and also 20kk bulbs....150W and 250W

all this numbers are driving me nuts and the numbers behind '$' is also driving me crazy....

any experts can enlighten me on the numbers??thanks...

• SRC Member
hi all, i am upgrading to a 3 X 1.5 X 2 ft tank...i decide to leave the DSB in my sump so maybe 3-4inches of sand in my main tank....not intending to keep SPS juz some common LPS like hammers frogspawn mushies and zoo (having 2nd thoughts now). might wanna grow a mangrove plant also, not for the N03 purpose but i think it looks cute if it extends above my hood....

so my question is, wat kind of MH should i use....

some advised 2 X 150W, B)

others say 1 X 250W, :idea:

my pocket hinted PL :whistle

and my galfren sreamed "stop your stupid marine hobby!!" :(

:lol::lol::lol:

i noticed there are 10kk bulbs and also 20kk bulbs....150W and 250W

all this numbers are driving me nuts and the numbers behind '$' is also driving me crazy....

any experts can enlighten me on the numbers??thanks...

dude, i share ur pain. when i first looked at mh, advises were coming in thick and fast, and they are not necessary the same.

since ur going for lps only, u can stay with 150W but go for 2 units for even distribution and can hang 9" fr water level. but if going for one unit, need to put very near water.

i personally suggest u go for one 250W as what i have (although now im regretting it cos i want sps and thus need 1x400W or 2x250W).

if u like slighly blue colour, ie not normal daylight yellow or white, take 20K Kelvin bulb. im using BLV and the blue is sufficient such that u dont need to use actinic blue lights.

so in summary, make sure you are sticking to lps and not eyeing sps cos upgrading is always gonna cost more $$$.

cheers!

• SRC Member

Y u guys always have the impression tat sps must have 400W or better still the SUN. W/o the proper readup, equipments, tank maturity and stable quality water condition.....1000W also no use -_-

post-34-1094181419.jpg

There are 2 types of person, those that chose learn n do it rite the first time and those tat chose to learn it the hard way.

• SRC Member

typrobin, i am in the same predicament. i will not be around for about three weeks to read this thread. i am going on holiday, ;) lost in the woods without internet. :lol:

so, please do a favour, PM me on your final decision, as i may follow you. thanks. :thanks: