Help needed urgently !

loonz

• SRC Member

Hey ppl...my weipro 2012 was working fine with the sicce extrema tuned to the max before i took out the canister filter to put in some polyfilter. After i replaced the canister filter..i looked up and saw the skimmer cup was half filled with water...before the change there was only a thin layer of skimmate...

questions:

1) what caused the water to suddenly start overflowing into the cup when i did not do anything to the pump

2) how do i get it to work properly again? i minimized the pump rate of the extrema pump to the minimum already, and yet the water and water bubbles are flowing into the cup still, fast filling up the cup with clear water...

besides, should i be gettting the pump rate to the maximum?so as to allow more air to be sucked in or so i read somewhere...?

Also note that the water level in the skimmer remained the same at the 2nd black ring...

Thanks!!need to get it running again before going to bed... :(

Maybe it has something to due with the nature of the polyfilter and how it works? Maybe it's just the side effect when you begin using it..just like how nutrafin chlorine remover causes my skimmer to foam insanely..

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member

Not at all...btw, the canister is totally not connected to the skimmer...while i was messing with the canister, the skimmer was still running...there was chemipure and hydrocarbon in the canister and i replaced the chemipure with polyfilter...that's all...

• SRC Member

Yes, i think by default the valve is opened all the way???it is parallel to the outflow as is...and i have off the skimmer and turned it on..and emptied a few cupfuls of water..sigh...should i empty the water in the column too??that is...take out the entire skimmer from the tank...and drain all the water in the skimmer...??

• SRC Member

placing the sponge in the water can cause back pressure which will slow down the water flow exiting out of ur skimmer,causing the water level inside the skimmer to flunctuate.remove the sponge or saw it short if u cant stand the bubbles.control the water level valve of the return pipe.

• SRC Member

hmm..i removed the sponge and switched on the skimmer and it looked ok...however, if i switched to the max power, the overflowing starts again. Hence now it remains at the slowest pump rate, and after a while i put back the sponge...hope it stays ok?