Frags Versus Colonies

• SRC Member

Saw a documentary, takes abt 1 mth to grow a few cm. So takes abt a yr to grow 1 inch. i think depends on species also. I saw some growth sequence of Acro reefers and it typically took them 2 yrs to grow into a colony.

As Yoda says "patience my padawan"

Phang

There a lot of factors affecting growth rate.

It is diffcuilt to pinpoint down to 1 or 2.

If you can meet all the required conditions, growth would be around 1cm a month average. At least that is what I am getting.

But then again not all grow at the same rate.

• SRC Member

Hmmm.... Thanks.

I was reading up on some posts in RC regards frag growth...

Cos my frags still now growing... however recently only discover that there was encrusting taking place..

Is that the reason for no growth as all effort to grow was made to the encrustation....???

Phang

Before the frag even start to grow, it has to adapt to the condition of your tank.

If the condition is good, it will first start to encrust onto the area around the base after a few days. Some frags may not grow "branches" for a long time but just cover the LR which it is bonded to.

This will take anywhere from 1 month to 3 months (at least in my case) before you start to see "branches" growing.

• SRC Member
Hey Reefers,

question...

What's your opinions on frags and colonies in reefs regarding ease of upkeeping and growth rates??

Got quite a number of frags but seems like growth rates not really fast enough.

Anyone wants to comment??

Phang,

Mind telling me what is frag and what u mean by colonies?

Got picture to show largi best :P

dino07.gif

• SRC Member
Phang

Before the frag even start to grow, it has to adapt to the condition of your tank.

If the condition is good, it will first start to encrust onto the area around the base after a few days. Some frags may not grow "branches" for a long time but just cover the LR which it is bonded to.

This will take anywhere from 1 month to 3 months (at least in my case) before you start to see "branches" growing.

Think I'm gonna wait a long time....as my frags are in encrusting mode.... :pinch:

1-3 months???..... :blink:

I have a bright green milli thats doingjus that...encrusting only and no branches ... wonder when I ever see them grow vertically upwards....

Dino... frags are pieces broken off a main coral...simply called colony...

Tango, try Coralife salt, think they have 1300 ppm for magnesium....

While out window shopping in RW, met a reefer who has been with marine tank for the past 17 yrs.. His advise, remember to add Magnesium.. Very important! Calcium important but Magnesium also important!!

Yes magnesium is important but you only add it when you have problem with your calcium level. ie you overdose your calcium till the calcium level crashed.

The can happen if you dose with calcium chloride.

Normal water changes will replace and correct the calcium/magnesium level.

• SRC Member

I was actually thinking of fragginf my colonies once they become establish in my reef....

understand that frags growth rates are actually faster than a colony once they managed to get a firm hold by encrusting......

So fast, the fastest growth rate experience in my reef is that of a montipora digitata.... doubled its size in 1.5 months time.......

• SRC Member

Tango,

Only add magnesium if you can measure it. It's dangerous to overdose, it can both ppt calcium and kill the stuff in the tank. Magnesium doesn't have to be added unless you don't change water for years because the rate of depletion is quite slow even for people who drip kalkwasser.

Best is to leave it and only add magnesium it there really is a calcium problem when it is low.

post-36-1093875548.jpg

Warning: Heavy handed moderator in operation. Threads and post are liable to be deleted or moved without prior notification.

Moderator's prerogative will be enforced.

Any grievances or complains should be addressed to The Administrator.

http://www.sgreefclub.com/forum/uploads/post-36-1073276974.gif post-36-1073276974.gif