Coral chips to raise calcium level

ckevin

• SRC Member

Hi guys,

I have noticed that placing a 3Kg bag of no.1 coral chips in my sump raises the calcium level to about 500ppm, from 430ppm, in a week.

This method is inspired on an occasion when i laid the sand bed with all coral chips. (It was a new setup with no additives.) Calcium level was well over 520ppm and could not be measured using Salifert test kit.

I remember how i once mixed cups after cups of calcium builder to raise the level to 470ppm during my very first reef set up. (very costly method)

Those that need a boost of calcium can try this super cheap method. No harm done as a 10 kg bag is less than 15 dollars. A lot more economical than calcium builder. The bad part is that i have not worked out the math for precise weight/ppm.

So how? My suggestion is to be kiasu. Put more into a bag and soak it in the sump. Monitor the calcium until it reaches your prefered ppm.

This secret will surely rock the manufacturers if it passes testss without contest of its benefits.

:idea::idea::idea::idea:

• SRC Member

kinda gd method but placing a bag of coral chips in sump will accumulate detirus after sometime n in turn raise NO3? not sure on how long coral chips need to place in sump to raise calcium to preferred level...gurus please support n confirm.... :)

• SRC Member

The effect is fast. Like i mentioned.. at most a week to reach the prefered ppm. Put a bigger bag of coral chips for a faster effect. Simple as that. Should not cause any NO hike. In fact i think it should be a very good PH buffer. Remove the bag and dump it after you are done. Don't reuse.

Sorry..gotta go....got a very important mission to attend to now. Shhh....... :fear::ph34r:

• SRC Member

Sorry to burst your bubble but it won't work in the long run... in fact I have doubts that it even works in the short run.

Calcium won't just dissolve just like that in salt water.. if that is so than calcium reactor's won't need to have CO2 input....

Calcium chips in your sump will only serve to trap detrius and cause it to become a nitrate factory... much like bio-balls...

• SRC Member

ervine,

I am really not too good at such science. All i need is for you to do the simple test to be convinced. I definitely did not conceive the method in my dreams but had consistently done it for my tank many times over. You might have a point about the CO2 thingy though. Before anyone argues that the raise might be due to the sand ..... this method works for mature tank that is encountering calcium depletion.

Place the chips in a high flow area to avoid detritus accumulation.(be creative) In any case, one week's worth of detritus is nothing compared to the dead spots many reefers experience in their reef. (Noticed i kept the emphasis on one week? Surely it is not that long? ;) )

Regards,

Kevin

• SRC Member
The effect is fast. Like i mentioned.. at most a week to reach the prefered ppm. Put a bigger bag of coral chips for a faster effect. Simple as that. Should not cause any NO hike. In fact i think it should be a very good PH buffer. Remove the bag and dump it after you are done. Don't reuse.

Sorry..gotta go....got a very important mission to attend to now. Shhh....... :fear::ph34r:

Why dump the bag? Cannot wash and reuse? Sorry, confused...

• SRC Member

Siput,

Just as it is not advisable to wash and reuse any filter wool. Any living organisms living in the chips will die with fresh water rinse and cause a NO3 hike when you place them back in the tank. Moreover, the chips are meant only to raise calcium level for and within a short period(one week) It is not meant for extended use as the possible Nitrate factory, many of the reefers have pointed out, is very real.

• SRC Supporter

Ckevin,

This is strange.... you sure you got your readings correct...

You won't notice coral chips dissolving unless pH is around 6.5...(from my observation with coralchips on Calcium Reactors....)

unless your reefs pH's thats low.....

• SRC Member

Joe,

Absolutely! Did not monitor the PH though. I used Salifert test kit for my calcium tests. Aiyah... i am truely beaten when i am bombarded with science :lol::lol: .

Fuel,

Yes, i did wash the chips in fresh water. Mmmm.. so thats why <_<

Now i am getting a closer to finding the science behind this magic :rolleyes: Hey.. i am as curious as you guys how this thing work. :blink:

• 2 years later...