Use of carbon in sump tank...

i read tat it will remove toxin, purify water, not too sure if can reduce NO3....

so if i get reefez carbon plus, do i pour the whole thing into one compartment of my sump or put in in the bag then into the sump?

Buy those nylon bag with holes and put the carbon inside. Then place at your sump where there lots of water movement.

Member of :
post-1182-0-60431600-1322062247_thumb.jp

post-2241-0-43391700-1354511230.png

UEN: T08SS0098F

MASS in Facebook

Reefing in LED

• SRC Member

carbon will remove everthing in the water that include trace element, no2,no3, medicine, copper etc....... but need to replace once it exhauted, if not it will give out everything it absorb to the tank.

Good to use it if you dont know what is the parameter of the water and would like to clear off all tonxic chemical in the water but will also suffer a lost in those good parameter like trace element etc....

• SRC Member

yes it remove no2 and no3 but also all the element in the water, if you use carbon as the media for your de-nitrators than as well you just place carbon inside you sump and dont need to spend $$ on the equiment. Purpose of de-nitrators is to remove ONLY no2,no3 and leave all other element alone.

• SRC Member

I doubt carbon directly removes NO2 and NO3...

it does remove organic compounds in the water which might eventually be broken down into NO2 and NO3... much like how a skimmer works, remove organics before they are given a chance to be broken down...

Some people put, some people don't put... shrug.. I've seen no visible difference when I put and when I didn't put.... so it's up to you..

yes it remove no2 and no3 but also all the element in the water, if you use carbon as the media for your de-nitrators than as well you just place carbon inside you sump and dont need to spend $$ on the equiment. Purpose of de-nitrators is to remove ONLY no2,no3 and leave all other element alone.

urh any evidence to back your claim up? like what ervine say, I think it only prevents the formation of NO2 and NO3 by removing DOCs and what not, before it has a chance to become NO2 and NO3.

• SRC Member

whatever it is, try not to buy those cheap skate active carbon... it will do more harm than good.... those low grade active carbon release high level of phosphate which promote the growth of algea.... the more expansive type of carbon will also release phosphate but in a smaller amount....