Seeking for advise on a quarantine tank

• SRC Member

Hi All,

I am planning to setup a quarantine tank and need some advise on the following questions I have:

1. Is one month a good duration to put all newly purchase live stock (including cleaning crews like snail etc.) to a quarantine before introduce to the main tank? or please advise on what should be the appropriate duration.

2. Is it a must to have all newly purchase live stock (includin cleaning crews like snail etc.) to a quarantine tank before introduce to the main tank?

3. Do I need to have skimmer in the quarantine tank?

4. Do I need to have UV Sterilizer in the quarantine tank?

5. Do I need and what medication for the quarantine tank? 

Please help to advise on any additional equipment is needed for a quarantine tank.

Thanks in advance for all the advise and inputs to be given and I look forward to hearing from all the experience reefers !

............................................................................................................................................

Feel free to visit my Aquarium blog @

http://taysaquarium.blogspot.sg/

• SRC Supporter

One month is a good practice for QT of all newly bought fishes.. i don't usually QT invert as I find it stressful to them.

UV is good to have but no necessary, as during medication period you need to off the UV as well.

Depending on your QT tank size,skimmer is good to have but for a small tank regular water change can be good enough as well.

The 3 medicine that I usually use and find it effective for most fish issue is yellow Powder, seachem copper and prazi gold.

Hope the above helps..

Sent from Singapore Reef Club mobile app

• SRC Supporter
My tank full of brown algae any idea how to get rid of them?

Did you measure your phosphate and nitrate level ?