Ywllow head jaw fish keep jumping abv water

• SRC Member

I bought a yellow head jawfish today from LCK, after putting in the tank for about 1/2 hour... i start to jump above water n swimming above, without hidding into the caves/rocks. it seems like telling me

" HEY YR WATER CONDITION SUCKS "

So I have check my water parameter everything seems fine.

Ammonia -0.2

NO2 undected

NO3 - 10

wonder wat happen ???? does anyone have this experience ?

FYI, i do not have any LS other than snails in the tank due to previous crash...

I bought a yellow-head from there before. It did the same thing. I will only buy from ML in future. At least the jawfish he sells don't do the same thing. The 'jumping' at the surface is caused by improper acclimatization process. Don't put too much hope that the fish will survive..normally if it's doing that it will not survive.

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
The 'jumping' at the surface is caused by improper acclimatization process. Don't put too much hope that the fish will survive..normally if it's doing that it will not survive.

I acclimatization this fellow for more than an hour leh <_< , i think this fellow really very very timid.... wouldnt dare to swim towards the LR's.. always near the front glass....... <_< Hope it will be fine tomolo, it not :cry2:

• SRC Member

Yellow head jawfish is a very timid fish and when it keep jumping above the water it signified that it is under stress. Hamannbmw, it is a good sign that the jawfish has burrow itself into the sand bed, do watch out for it and try not to disturb the fish too much and at the sametime try feeding it with live brineshrimp. If its start feeding then it should be stablised and in no time getting used to the captivity enviroment. Most of the time when the yellowhead jawfish is under stress they will developed ich which is quite fatal. Majority of the time the fish just die off. So try not to frighten it ya... and after this phase.. you will enjoy this little fellow cos.. it is a very beautiful fish to have.

• SRC Member

Normally the price is around 50 to 60 but that will depends on the individual LFS. Unless the LFS bring in the blue spotted jawfish.. but it is very rare too, haven't seen 1 yet... after so many years of keeping this hobby.

I pushed alot of sand for my jawfish to play with...only about 1-1.5 inches though. However it's able to build a deep enough burrow (his whole body can sit comfortably in it) due to positioning of liverock and many cobbles for him for construction purposes. My hermits only visit his shelter now..cause all the extra shells are with him.. He became the shell supplier. :lol::angel:

But seriously.... most of the jawfish once added will tend to jump...... Seriosuly, I have seen the jawfish being proerly acclimatize as i was the first customer there during the shipment and i remain until almost to the dawn of next day....... :lol::lol::lol:

• SRC Member
I pushed alot of sand for my jawfish to play with...only about 1-1.5 inches though. However it's able to build a deep enough burrow (his whole body can sit comfortably in it) due to positioning of liverock and many cobbles for him for construction purposes. My hermits only visit his shelter now..cause all the extra shells are with him.. He became the shell supplier. :lol::angel:

Mine too..... it has a front door n also a back door,, :lol:

• 2 weeks later...
sorry to dig out this old post,but do we have to supply shells and small stones for the goby to play with??

Yes. Grade 0 sand itself if not enough if you have a DSB. You need coral chips of bigger grades like 3-4 to help the jawfish stabilise the burrow.

• SRC Member

Yes. Grade 0 sand itself if not enough if you have a DSB. You need coral chips of bigger grades like 3-4 to help the jawfish stabilise the burrow.

But i nv put any leh :huh: .. anyway its not happy with its current HDB flat.... had since move to Condo liao...... :lol: