'dead rock' Can I use it for my tank?

• SRC Member

i dun think u have to cure the dead rocks....basically it is wat it is, dead....i think u might wanna juz brush off the top layer of the rocks, use a metal brush, scrub as hard as u can....

then juz dump them into your tank loh....sooner aor later they'll become live rocks....

if your tank already has liverocks, and is already stocked up then don't bother to cycle them again.the dead rocks will automactically grow beneficial bacteria...

if u are thinkin of starting a new tank, cycle them for more than a mth, be sure it is fully cycled, change 20% or more water(some even recommend 50%,then add LS.........

• SRC Member

Dead rock is dead, but cycling depends on its origin.

If this was LR previously that was left out and dried, then it has lots of dead organic material that might start decomposing once you put it back in water, so it will need some sort of cycling.

If it is base rock that never had much organic material on it then it would not need much cycling.

True enough, the good bacteria will colonize it again in time.

Hi guys,

just a stupid question. How you know the rock is "dead"?

can anyone enlighten me. Thanks

regards-fooyl

Previous Tank 3 x 2.5 x 2 ft since year 2005. 23 Jan 2009 fully decom my 3ft. Now only left 24"x14"x16" and I am very happy cos can see all my fish in near range.. haha