First time running chiller..

ervine

• SRC Member

Hi guys...

I'm using a Resun Cl450 on my 55gal/200+litre tank for the first time... which means my chiller is actually overrated... pushing the water through with an atman 104 (2000l/h) at a height of about 1.2m...

The thing is... the chiller seems to have little impact on the water temperature.. it brought it down by about 1 degree then after which there was little noticeable difference in the temperature of the water....

Is it cos it's the first time I'm running the chiller therefore it takes longer for the temp to drop down?

Thanks..

Ervine

BTW any ideas how to silence the old resun chillers?? its like an airport here in my bedroom!! sigh the price I pay to be thrifty in this hobby

• SRC Member
Hi,

Use pump flow about 1200L/H will be good for CL450

You can change the fan of the chiller. Try to mod. by using other fan, but must be high speed (heat exchange is important)

Octopus BAY

Oh 1200l/h only? Damn...

BTW, I suspect that my chiller is not running very effeciently... impossible that my lights are off and it still turns on every 15mins....

Do you happen to be able to service the chiller?

Thanks,

Ervine

• SRC Member

Oh by the way.. i've timed my chiller after a day of running...

It seems it turns on every 10mins for around 8mins... so 10mins off, 8mins on, 10mins off, 8mins on.. etc...

What i suspect is that:

1. Chiller is working fine and can cool the tank rather quickly

2. Heat being pumped into my tank is equally fast

Are my deductions correct?

Thanks again...

(BTW, i set the temp of the chiller at 28, thermometer in tank reads around 27.5... should be an okay temperature right?)

Sounds like a 2nd hand teco which I used to own..which I stupidly threw away since the technician said it was not worth repairing it since it would be very costly. There was a problem with the coils. Maybe you should send yours for servicing. :ph34r:

Always something more important than fish.

http://reefbuilders.com/2012/03/08/sps-pico-reef/

• SRC Member
Sounds like a 2nd hand teco which I used to own..which I stupidly threw away since the technician said it was not worth repairing it since it would be very costly. There was a problem with the coils. Maybe you should send yours for servicing. :ph34r:

Hmm.. but it IS keeping the water temp at what it should be at... and it only turns on for 8mins at a time..

Could it be that it's just my tank which is running too many heat producing appliances?

Will go and monitor it after the lights are out... by right it should come on a lot less frequently...

hv u did maintenance on ur chiller b4?

the lesser the flowrate, the more contact time ur water will hv with the heat exchanger. but of coz there should be a recommended range of flowrates for u to follow by resun.

hv u noticed the thermostat is not accurate?? so is the temp differential?

above r juz some pointers for u to consider.

Austin the Westie: "I may be your best friend, but you are my everything".

Lightning Strike's Back!!!

Reefkeeping Is Not My Hobby, It's My Obsession.

Austin's Birthday

.png

• SRC Member
hv u did maintenance on ur chiller b4?

the lesser the flowrate, the more contact time ur water will hv with the heat exchanger. but of coz there should be a recommended range of flowrates for u to follow by resun.

hv u noticed the thermostat is not accurate?? so is the temp differential?

above r juz some pointers for u to consider.

Have I ever maintained it? No... because i just bought it.. have the previous owners ever maintained it? i think they did the normal cleaning of air filters etc... no major stuff

Actually some people disagree with the slower flow rate issue... but I think mine should be okay lah... 2000l/h but toned down + the height it pumps up... should have easily cut in half...

Thermostat not accurate? Hm... off by maybe 0.5 degrees loh but I just compensate it with my in tank thermometer...

Anyways...

after lights went out the chiller starts up every 20mins and lasts around 7mins....

So do you guys think this is reasonable?

With Lights

8mins ON

10mins OFF

Without Lights

7mins ON

20mins OFF

So effectively it'll be running for around 8hrs per day (hope I got my maths right)... is that reasonable?