Any problem removing live rock from tank

Bernard

• SRC Member

Hi guy's,

Need some advise.

I'm thinking to transfer all my live rock from my 2ft tank to my new 10 days old 3ft tank.

Will there be any problem if I remove all the live rock in my 2ft tank and left just the fishes in there?

Thanks,

Bernard :thanks:

• SRC Member

alternatively if only fish, run a bio-filter set-up eg canister for the short term until u transfer the fish across. give it a few days for the bacteria to start to take hold in the biofilter 1st...if u have an ios just put in some bioballs?

• SRC Member
don't think there is a problem,but better to do it in few batches,and leave the fish where it is, until your 3ft tank can cope with the bioload :P anyway how many kilo of liverock do u have?

I have no idea how many kilo of liverock but it cover up the whole back glass. I did move some over already but just worry might cause any harm to the fishes.

• SRC Member
wil be good if you tell us how many fishes and what kind of fish are there..

fishes like tangs and anthias gives out lots of bioload..

There's 5 of them. 1x damsel, 1x clown, 1x firegoby, 1x don't know what goby and 1x bluetang.

• SRC Member
y do u need to leave the fishes in the old tank??

move them altogether lah....into your new tank....i suggest u cycle the sand in the new tank 1st, then shift all existing LR and LS and corals together into their new home....

I'm thinking of this too but scare that my new tank bioload can't take it due to all stuff go in at one time.

• SRC Member

Your gobies might not be too please about not having any holes to hide in, the BT too..... run in the new tank then transfer all lah.... I presume you are getting a larger tank.... so load the new tank with other live rocks first lah... just leave space for your current ones

my 2cts

• SRC Member

juz upgrade fr 2ft to my new 3ft 1 mth ago.What i did was took out all the live rocks to the 3 ft to do the scaping,leaving all the fishes in the 2ft tank,but still running with cannister.IMO i think have to do it fast,it take abt 1 hr for me to complete the transfering.nothing happen to all my ls.

• SRC Member
Your gobies might not be too please about not having any holes to hide in, the BT too..... run in the new tank then transfer all lah....  I presume you are getting a larger tank.... so load the new tank with other live rocks first lah... just leave space for your current ones

my 2cts

Thanks for the advise. i think i'll need to wait for a another 2 to 3 weeks then start transfer my fish one by one over. :thanks:

• SRC Member
juz upgrade fr 2ft to my new 3ft 1 mth ago.What i did was took out all the live rocks to the 3 ft to do the scaping,leaving all the fishes in the 2ft tank,but still running with cannister.IMO i think have to do it fast,it take abt 1 hr for me to complete the transfering.nothing happen to all my ls.

as what Guinness has said. Gobies and BT need place to hide.

if i totally remove all liverock scare that it might cause stress to my BT.

that why i need advice. :thanks: