Up coming

Dinosaur

• SRC Member

Dino, Before you proceed any further, ther might be a major issue with your light diffusers....

the entire plate is only balanced at the edges .... hope you know that liverock stacked up would be rather heavy.... so do recommend that you distribute out the weight bearing abilities of your stacker by adding more pieces in the mid section of each plate..... :)

and hus to add on.... placing the pieces perpendicular to each other would strengthen the whole structure by alot....

Thanks. :D

There is support within base plate. I even try standing on it, No problem :P

This is where i am so far. .........shit! feel the pain on my palm liaoz ........

post-9-1046062008.jpg

dino07.gif

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• SRC Member

Dinosaur,

One very importain advice. :nc:

From experience, do not place your unopened coca cola cans by the window in the sunlight. I had coke cans explode all over my house before. :yeah: And also it will get color will fade and won't look nice anymore. :(

:off: i know.

Acrylic Aquarium Filtering Systems

Acrylic tanks, sumps, protein skimmers, overflow box, refugium, calcium reactors, zeovit reactors and many more...

Our New Address:

Blk 9003, Tampines St. 93,

Tampines Industrial Park A,

#03-134, Singapore 528837

(Located behind Tampines SAFRA)

Contact Nos.

(Tel) +65 9298 9489

(Fax) +65 6588 4711

Please direct your...

Email me : info@iaquatic.com

*Please do not send PM's to us. Thank you

• SRC Member
Dinosaur,

One very importain advice. :nc:

From experience, do not place your unopened coca cola cans by the window in the sunlight. I had coke cans explode all over my house before. :yeah: And also it will get color will fade and won't look nice anymore. :(

:off: i know.

I am aware of that, but too many liaoz..... dunno where to put.

I still have hundered of them lying inside a market trolley ....... anyone interested? :P

dino07.gif

• SRC Member

Dino, i think i'm too late with this soz

u need to have a smaller cutter,u have the correct type but wrong size.

The small one will enable u to get right close to the edge & simply trim unwanted bits-no filing needed.

instead of 4 pieces of crate- should use PVC as support then crate as shelf.(strong enough for me to sit on it). Maybe cut your usage to one piece 4x2 only.

pvc joints/pipes $10. Drill holes in pvc.No glue-configuration endless.

1672728.jpg

1672733.jpg

A good amount is buried -adds to stability

1672734.jpg

i'm halfway through aquascaping mine-only dry base rock is in.

1672736.jpg

pardon the internal filter- filled with floss to clear the cloudy water temporary.

Have fun!i did- felt i was back in lego land all over again!

• SRC Member

The problem is that water will still stay still within the tube - allowing the water to become stagnant. Once this occurs, there will be algae blooms and the like. By drilling holes in the PVC, you allow for water movement throughout, and will not have to worry about this potential problem.

Even if you are only using PVC as support (and not a full rack), still drill holes. This will also allow for the sandbed creatures to be able to access the PVC too and a breeding place for pods as well

u would think that stagnant conditions within the pipes will work on the same concept as a DSB? but i think there must be a way for the nitrogen to be released and if it is sealed then it won't happen. :)

• SRC Member
Dino, i think i'm too late with this soz

u need to have a smaller cutter,u have the correct type but wrong size.

The small one will enable u to get right close to the edge & simply trim unwanted bits-no filing needed.

instead of 4 pieces of crate- should use PVC as support then crate as shelf.(strong enough for me to sit on it). Maybe cut your usage to one piece 4x2 only.

pvc joints/pipes $10. Drill holes in pvc.No glue-configuration endless.

i'm halfway through aquascaping mine-only dry base rock is in.

pardon the internal filter- filled with floss to clear the cloudy water temporary.

Have fun!i did- felt i was back in lego land all over again!

Thanks, but mine already three quarter completed.

you can sit but ...... mine can stand on it :P

dino07.gif

Hi Bawater,

I think the aquascape is going to be nice with the corals in. As I said the other day when we met, aqua scaping is not easy. You ought to be "artistic "I never do a good job in arranging rocks all the while.

If you have the time . can help me to rearrange ? I owe you a piece of acros !

rdgs,

• SRC Member

No worries Teck, we can do it if u shift your tank. The scaping & support is the easy bit(just use a picture of natural reef)- everything else is a headache.

if u want to shift around in 3mths got to plan now-lots of waiting involved!. Give me a pm or sms.

• SRC Member

This is the shape of my 3/5 completed eggcrate.

Very ugly as compared to Phang’s version. :unsure:

But who cares, it will be cover up by the LR eventually :P

Expected to finish the whole structure by tonight :D

So for the whole of Sat and Sun..... burn! :cry:

I will be taking out all the LR for scrubbing before I re-arrange the landscape

post-9-1046404198.jpg

dino07.gif

Dino, It looks like a big rockscaping challenge.

The vertical face is too steep, I suggest that you put more horizontal shelves that are wider at the bottom and narrower as it goes up the top so you can stack flat rocks to put corals on. Doing this will enable smaller corals to be placed right at the top without blocking light at the lower shelves.

I hope you can find big flat rocks to hide eggcrates...

The reason why I went for pvc pipes (see my reef project thread) is that I minimise the visibility of 'legs' or vertical parts being seen. It is already a challenge for me to hide these completely. But the dark grey colour is also easier to hide compared to the stark white of eggcrates. And the much smaller mass has a lot of strength compared to fragile eggcrates. And a smaller mass helps in water flow dynamics.

You will need a lot of flat rocks as well as small rocks to cover that much surface area of eggcrates if you want to hide as much of it as possible to look natural.

Hmmm... sorry if I seem to negative, but I am very particular abt the final visual appearances as well as function. :angel:

But if I was a budget, I would done it the same way... well... maybe not! :)

• SRC Member

Hi all long time never post.. Got a few questions..

Dinosaur how do lock those egg crates together?? Is it safe because those exposing edges will only interlock each other..? Im going to re-aquascape on March holidays so need advises..

ORDed

back to studies and reefing again..