corals - changes color of water

• SRC Member

i own a 1 ft tank in my office, hang on filter. everytime i buy a coral or sponge and place it in my aquarium, after a while it starts to turn my water murky brown. why is that so? i also noticed that the mustrooms etc. do not open up. they are wrinkled and closed.

what could be the cause? i tot of buying a pack of those active carbon to add into my filter. would that help to keep the water clear and adjust the water parameters? (i saw this brand 'chemipure', sounds good)

someone pls advise me. its urgent and im totally stuck with my tank. :unsure:

Read somewhere in this forum that the resin in chemipure is good for fresh water only.

Personally, I use "Matrix Carbon" from Seachem.

When my mushroom closed up last time, it was b'cos one of the corals died and started to rot.

What corals you bought?

Sponge not easy to keep, cos cannot expose to air.

Trapped air in the sponge can cause it to die.

• SRC Member

well, its a few corals on LR. I can't identify them. I'll post a picture up here shortly for u to identify. But it seems to have algae, mushrooms and 2 other types. I'm not sure.

is ur tank fully cycled ??

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

just read tt u " never bother to cycled ur tank " in another thread ... i feel tt there might be indication of NH3 or even Nitrite to cause the softies to die off as no or not enough bacteria is present to convert .....thus causing the water to 'blur .....

not advisable to change 100% water too

2x1.5x1.5 tank

Lighting: AI hydra 52HD

Skimmer: Deltec SC 1455

Reactor: Minimax; rowaphos

Skimz  ; NP biopellets

Wave Maker: MP 40 WQD

Return pump: Eheim 1262

Chiller: Arctica 1/10 hp

A righteous man cares for the needs of his animal, but the kindest acts of the wicked are cruel -- Proverbs 12:10

• SRC Member

ok, so what would u suggest i do? i can't let my water cycle now cause i won't have a place to put my LR. However, if nitrite and nitrate were present, how come my fishes seem healthy? (a boxfish and a spotted mandarin)

• SRC Member
ok, so what would u suggest i do? i can't let my water cycle now cause i won't have a place to put my LR. However, if nitrite and nitrate were present, how come my fishes seem healthy? (a boxfish and a spotted mandarin)

Don't add anymore LS in ur tank for a while till everything goes stable. ;) Test ur parameter.

Bevor Sie das Licht sehen, müssen Sie sterben!

• SRC Member

Sorry to say your Mandarin will starve to death in a small new tank as it depends on live food, unless your mandarin eats blood worms (unlikely) or you breed brine shrimp for your mandarin, not a beginner's fish. Please do a bit of research instead of jumping into this hobby, researh what you want to buy and see if it is hardy and compatible with what fishes you had in mind as not all fishes can get along with each other.